1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter Compulator & Clipping???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

been getting alot of clipping w/ my sadowsky and demeter comp pedal. just wondering if i'm the only one. anyone find a work around other than turning down my volume knob? :D

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Volume pedal before the Compulator... :meh:

I've noticed this too with my J-Retro equipped Laklands. Both pre's are really intense, so looks like volume knob is the best bet really.

3. Tysinger

Tysinger

Feb 26, 2008
    Why don't you adjust the gain control trim pot on the pedal?

Bryan

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Trim Pot.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oh, forgot to mention that i did. and alas even at the lowest setting i'm still getting clipping.

if anything, its not really an "input" gain, rather seems an "output" gain control. in case the topside volume knob isnt putting out enough signal with massive compression, i guess you use the side gain to bring back up the overall level.

might as well ask if there are any other stomp box sized compressors i should look into...

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The trim pot really is an input level control, but if it's not working for you, it's not working for you. Have you tried the Maxon CP9Pro+? Also of course check my reviews for many other options.

7. A dying battery might also cause clipping.

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Yeah, the Compulator sounds best in bypass...:D

I know it gets a lot of love on TB but never has been my favorite comp.

9. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    No, not the only one. Clips for me on anything but absolute lowest trim pot setting. I like the sound, though (classic R&B flatwound sound).

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    care to share one you do like?

11. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I had similar issues with the Compulator. Granted I've learned more about how to use a compressor since then. I had to turn the input trim down just about all the way and then it seemed to either do too much or too little. It sounded really good through headphones but got lost with my amp :meh:
    Anyway, believe it or not, I'm back to the Zoom B2 for compression. It doesn't care about input levels at all. It's pretty obvious compression but it's pretty forgiving for a borderline spaz like me.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    My Diamond compressor also clips, but it accepts 9-24v and Diamond have told me to try it at 18v which should improve the headroom. My Diago 18v adaptor should arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. Of course, don't try this on the Compulator whithout consulting Demeter first as it may fry it!

13. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Are you boosting the lows a lot on your bass?

14. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    I know this sounds crazy, but are your pickups too high? I used to clip everything until I finally lowered my pickups. It solved some problems and actually sounded better.

I play a Musicman Bongo 5 and Stingray 5 through the Compulator. I have a farily aggressive finger style when I play. It was clipping like crazy until used the trim pot. I used all of the trim available and took care of the problem. I can now use the compressor level up to about 10:00 before I start squashing.

It's worth noting that I have tried MANY pedals (Tech21, Boss, others), and most of them clipped and squashed like crazy on me. The only two pedals that did me any good were:

1) Demeter Compulator
    2) The old Trace Elliot Pedal that did a split signal compression. Not sure if these are still being made, but it was a great pedal.

I love the "gentleness" of the Compulator. It adds evenness across the strings and helps eliminate peeks. There is a bit more "life" and "fullness" in the tone (whatever that means), but I barely know its on. Perfect for me.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ooohhh yea... ;)

but i've tried lower settings, and its working out ok so far. and yes, the dem seems to be the musical to my ears. even at the more extreme settings its still quite smooth.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

well, lowering pickups does lower the signal output somewhat. but like G pointed out, i do tend to boost the lows ALOT on my sadowskies only cause the preamp sounds soooo flippin good.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oooo,

i love my friend's diamond comp! and i do have a diamond sanctioned 18v adaptor that i use w/ my diamond halo chorus. maybe i'll give that a go.

every try the demeter? how do they compare to one another?

18. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Just got my Diago 18v adaptor today and it cures all clipping problems with the Diamond!!!

Not tried the Demeter but I've had the EBS and the Diamond wins for me.

19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    +1 Adaptor. Solved my problems also. Before that..... Clipping.