Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter VTBP-201 vs. Read Purity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    I too am very curious in this comparison...
    You can hear soundclips of the two at: www.basstasters.com

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Oops - I goofed. But anyway, is this even a fair comparison? I'm GASing for juicy, tube warmth in a 1 rack space preamp. Anybody tried both? Opinions, comments please...

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Could you expand on "juicy tube warmth"? Are you looking for clean and shimmery, phat and growly, or some combination?

I own the Purity but don't have enough experience with the Demeter to compare. I'd sure be interested in what others have to say.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

5. I have the Demeter VTBP-201s. To me, it doesn't really have what I would call "juicy tube warmth." It is very clean and transparent. I'd even say it's quite bright. It has the capability to boost the trebble much more than it can cut it.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned both the HBP-1 and Read, and also used the 201 in recording/rehearsals at studios.

They both have great clarity, but the Read definitely has a warmer bottom end. Both Demeters I've tried are hi-fi and have'glassy highs' (to quote Joker), which to my ears made it sound almost brittle.

The Read is IMO, closer to juicy tube warmth than the Demeter but still less tubey warm than say the Aguilar DB680.

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Damn - I knew somebody was going to bring up the Aggie db680. If they could squeeze it down a space and maybe drop the price a little :meh: It does sound extremely "syrupy" on basstasters. Looks like I'd lean towards the Read instead of the Demeter - thanks for the input guys...

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    To stir the pot even more, how do these 2 compare to a Kern?

~S~

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In a similar way as apples do to oranges :)

Actually, that's not entirely true. I'd say the Demeter and Kern are pretty polar opposites. But the Kern and Read have some similarities in that they have some thick low mids, the Read's are more articulate IMO.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @davidmwilson,

How does the read work with fx(dist,etc) & how much V is it pushing on the output to the power amp?

~S~

PS: Why did you sell yours so soon?

11. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    what would be phat and growly?

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It worked fine with fx, but I always have mine in front of the amp rather than in the fx loop. I don't what the V is but it had no problems driving my power amp.

I sold it because I got it with no real intention of keeping it, I was only curious to hear what it sounded like.

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    V = volts/voltage/etc

~S~

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, I know that, I just don't know what the figure was for the Read

15. I have the 201s. I don't find it brittle at all. I put Telefunken NOS black plates in and it sounds quite a bit warmer than the EV tubes that it came with although they were good too. I found the Kern too round on the bottom, I and never tried the Purity, but it sounds great.

Everytime I've found a juicy, tubey, big fat bottom amp or setting I like, it never works for me in a mix/live situtation. THAT, is why my Demeter is working for me and I'm happy with it so far. Yes, it may sound a slight bit bright at times but in the mix it cuts like a knife and I get tone compliments all the time. I think it's the "clean" that does it for me. My WWU is also very transparent and clean but gets a nice warmth too.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The tubes used in the Dem's have a fair impact on the edginess of the high freqs. I use a NOS GE, but would love to get some Tele's.

I bet the Purity is nice sounding with Tele's as well.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado

How do the GEs compare to the stock tubes? Ive been thinking about some Teles myself (its your fault Big String ;) ) but I figure I should check out some other options before I decide.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey Dev!

long time no see. hope your tour went well.

but like Dave said, they're on opposite sides of the preamp spectrum. smooth, dark, and velvety is the Kern, while the Demeter is open, airy, and glossy.

btw, i'm thinking of selling my Kern. want first dibs?

as for "juicy tube warmth", NOTHING and i mean NOTHING can match an Alessandro Basset Hound. tho, its only 60 watts, using my Avalon U5 as a speaker input point for my Stewart 1.2 hooked into my Acme 4x10, its the ultimate in tube tone.

IMHO, there's NO equal.