1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Desert Island Pedals

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by ETThompson, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Justin

I'm starting to think of adding some pedals to my collection, I have very few now. If you had to pick 10 all-time super favorite, can't live without, best of the best ...what would they be?

Thanks!

Eric

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Sans GT2
    Sans VT Bass
    Boss OC-2
    Guyatone MD2
    Line 6 M9
    Rusty Box
    Memory Man
    Boss CE-2
    TubeWorks Blue Tube
    Eventide Space

3. Very cool!

4. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    The m9 is the only one on that list that's a head scratcher for me. Is that one special for you just for the Swiss army knife aspect?

5. I can only imagine that it's for Swiss Army Knife mode like I've been looking at it for a long time. I don't have one [yet,] but my friends that have them seem to enjoy the "presets for specific songs" aspect in a very small box. "Tone suck" as they may be, you can't deny the sounds from the four button Line 6 devices the Ms are based off of.

6. Cairobill

Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003
    London
    Hi JMJ

I have a blue tube pedal version with the stock tube inside it. What tube would you recommend as an upgrade or do you use yours as is? Cheers, interesting list...

7. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Since chorus is the only modulation effect I like on bass and I don't need a wide variety of distortion/fuzz/overdrive sounds, my list is limited to four:

EBS MultiComp
    Xotic BB Bass Preamp
    EBS UniChorus
    Tech 21 VT Bass

I also use an MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter, which is slicker than goose poop on a pump handle. But since I only use it on two tunes in our entire repertoire, I wouldn't cry if I couldn't take it to the island.

If I had room on my miniature pedal board and $170 to blow (I have neither), I'd add a Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B for a purely clean boost... for that one bass solo I get to play in a typical evening on stage....

8. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Ooops... just realized that I'm NOT in the Effects forum! Heh-heh. Guess the OP wasn't asking MY opinion. Got it anyway!

:bag:

9. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks JMJ! I'm interested in others' lists too...and the reasons why, especially for the more obscure pedals.

10. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    JMJ, I thought you said earlier you prefer the Aguilar Octamizer to the Boss...no?

11. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Do you think the MD3 is comparable or is the MD2 where it's at?

I was just thinking maybe I'd sell mine, but now I won't. Thanks JMJ :)

12. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    I dont leave home without either my Aguilar DB924 or my Aphex Bass Xciter .

13. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier!

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    4 pedals I could live on forevs:
    Aguilar Tone Hammer
    EBS octave
    EBS chorus
    EHX Bass Big Muff

Now I'm surprised I even have more on my pedalboard. Haha, don't tell my tech.

14. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Wait...I just realized there was no fuzz in there. Like...woah.

15. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Wooly Mammoth. Ok so there's eleven. I snuck one in the pocket of my tattered, shipwreck-scarred jeans.

16. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Then there's the power generator and fuel supply issue....ugh. Desert islands are a drag...Let's play pretend somewhere else now, 'kay.

Seriously though, I remember you saying something during that TC Electronics spot that you don't normally have much use for chorus effects. So then, I was a little surprised to see a chorus pedal show up on your top 10 (or 11). Do you use the CE-2 much?

17. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
  18. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Wow- you never know who is going to "show up" on TB! hey Bdeaux...love the bass tone you got on "Habits" I assume that was you?...just picked it up last week..obviously a little behind the 8 ball on great new music.

not to derail the thread but did you use any desert island f/x on that recording? What bass/amps did you use...diggin it and may have to look into more neon trees stuff..thanks

Mark

19. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    JMJ, Do you notice any low end loss with the CE-2? I was tech-talking about this pedal on another forum and someone suggested that it didn't work well w/ bass.

20. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I'm into flangers- specifically, the MXR M-117R. It's my one and only effect, but I won't leave home without it.