1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Desert island Ribbon Mic

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by laklandfan07, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. laklandfan07

laklandfan07 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Hey JMJ I'm just starting to put together my little home studio for remote sessions and just wanted to ask about what your go to ribbon mic would be if you had to pick. I do a lot of motown r&b and indie/synth rock with various flavours of overdrive and I know you like to blend a ribbon with a dynamic (currently I own and RE20) in those drive scenarios. I read you like the AEA N22, R84, and 44. I guess my question would be what would your #1 be for my types of applications if you HAD to pick? Right now I have the aforementioned RE20 or a 57 against my B15N and a Noble DI to blend. I'm looking at those drive flavours you used in After Laughter, as well as with Neon Trees and Wolf Alice. Thanks a bunch!

By the way I'm stoked your here in Toronto working with Metric!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    You should get something super dark but super fat like a 44, if money was no object. Or better yet, my dream ribbon which is an A440, the active version of a 44. It sounds insane on bass. But you don't need to get anything that hardcore, just get an N22 and blend that with a 57 or an RE20 and be happy forever. Or save dough and use a 57 and any decent Fet 47 clone.

GregC, odetolethargy and laklandfan07 like this.
  3. laklandfan07

laklandfan07 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    A
    Awesome! I'm glad the N22 is useable! I wasn't prepared to shovel out 5k for the a440 ;)