1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI/IEM board - please critique the order

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MNAirHead, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Howdy..

I'm setting up a DI/IEM/Wireless.

Please verify that I there isn't a better pedal train order.

attachment.

Tim

Attached Files:

2. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    So you're using the Rolls as a "more me" type mixer (your bass, your mic, everything else).
    The mixed output is going to your IEM transmitter.

That keeps the important things in your hands as far as mix goes. You're still dependent on the board monitor mix for the everything else. As long as that doesn't get outta' whack you should be fine.

What are you using the Morley switcher for in that set-up?

3. MNAirHead

Rolls...
    Yes using it as a stage mixer... Shure has one.. it doens't have useful functions in it.... it's also a fast backup incase the wireless drops out or conflicts....

ABY... there are rare times that I am asked to play upright..... Ican then use the zoom to EQ/level balance for these.... it has compressor/chorus for times I'm playinig 7 string

M80 is for fast tone & level tweeks.. I rotate about 30 basses.

When it's solid, I'll be putting together a 2 level carpeted board that has the wireless

4. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Wow, that's a lot of different instruments.

It looks like it'd work fine as is. If/when you go to a true IEM System like Aviom, Hearback, etc that has a personal mixer, then you wouldn't need the Rolls.

Otherwise the signal path looks pretty clean to me.

We use Hearback. Last weekend my "rig" was bass to MXR M80 to FOH/IEM. I plugged in my wired earbuds to the Hearback mixer.

5. MNAirHead

I'm factoring a quick disconnect for the events that I have wireless interference .. another reason to have an ABY (and Rolls) avaialble.

I've gone Aviom to the Rolls without any issues.

Things like the b2 can be bypassed in the events I'm not playing a 7 string.. they do work well to save presets for EUB/UB/Fretless etc... I have a fishman preamp -- trying to only have the unversally useful boxes here.

I will be building a custom quick connect pedal board w/punch bay that will go into an Anvil Case ... my concern is to ensure that I have a rock solid plan.

=====

I'm more than willing to post the pix when all is ready and prepped.

6. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I use wired earbuds with the Hearback mixer. I can't justify the expense of wireless when it's basically a "pit gig" where I'm in a fixed location with the mixer 2 feet away.

The Aviom mixer can connect to your Rolls just fine.. no problem. You'd have a volume control for your bass on both the Aviom mixer and on the Rolls. It's just redundant if everything is going through the Aviom anyway.

7. MNAirHead

Thanks the entire thing is to improve my no amp setup..

I have a band that I'm starting requiring me to be wireless (few reasons).

Tim

8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Wire it so the tuner is not in the signal chain that goes to the amp/PA?

9. MNAirHead

Peterson is a true bypass... also has a DI... the way it's setup allows a quality sound engineer to pull off a signal at any point in the chain.

I have thought of eliminating it as the B2 has a good Tuner in it.

10. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    True bypass or not, every component in the chain signal is one more potential point of failure. One more module that could possibly croak and kill your signal. One more patch cable that could go bad. And it will add *some* noise - even if it turns out to be indiscernible.

My general rule is: If it's not doing something that needs to be in the FOH signal, it shouldn't be in the FOH signal chain.

11. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    My main rig (SVT 2 Pro) has a Tuner Out off the head, so I can have my tuner without having it be in the FOH signal chain.

My backup amp (Ibanez Promethean) also has a Tuner Out, which I use the same way.

If I were not going to use an amp, I would still use my Sansamp BDDI, for the sound it gives me, and that has a Parallel Out, which I would use for the Tuner.

12. MNAirHead

Stu

your last statement is brilliant.. the M80 has a parellel out..

I have considered just taking the tuner out as I don't keep basses that won't hold a tune..

I'm still on the fence if it's even worth bringing a high end tuner out of the shop.
    Tim

13. MNAirHead

Thanks again Stu.. good point.... (palm slap duh)

14. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I would never go to a gig without a tuner, if I could possibly help it. My "normal" plan is to use my Korg that's in my rack, but I still would bring my little Korg Pitchjack as a backup to that. It's actually a great little tuner. Can't beat it for $17!

I thought maybe you specifically wanted your tuner in the FOH signal chain so that you can use it as a Mute when you are checking your tuning. I use the Mute on the footswitch for my SVT for that.

15. MNAirHead

The Zoom has a volume pedal.

For the life of me I can never remember tuning on stage (do it before)...

I'd keep a small tuner in the bag etc.

16. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Maybe as I get more experience I'll get less paranoid about it. Right now, I worry about things like a string going "sour" during a performance and needing to be able to tell, even if I'm in an environment where I can't hear myself well enough to just tell by ear.

I read a thread on here yesterday about somebody playing their bass one night and the strings were fine. Picked it up the next day and the E string was totally dead. Other people responded that they've had the same thing happen. I worry about something like that happening during a gig and having it go out of tune.

Part of my same anal retentiveness that makes me keep the tuner out of the FOH signal chain, no matter how "reliable" the tuner and patch cables are expected to be.

Like I said, when I have more experience actually gigging on bass I realize that I'll probably relax some on all this. Only some, though. I'm still similarly anal about other stuff that I've been doing for decades. ;)

17. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    MNAirHead, it's true the M80 has the parallel out, but it wouldn't mute your signal while you're tuning.
    You could use the tuner in the Zoom, and I think it does mute the signal, or just use the volume pedal to cut it's output. Personally, I don't see a problem having the Peterson inline. One of my pedalboards has a Boss TU2 inline and it doesn't bother me.

Lately, I've been using the bass-M80-FOH chain, I unplug the bass from the M80 and plug it into the tuner to tune.
    Like you, I don't keep basses that won't stay in tune - but I do check between sets.

18. MNAirHead

Thanks for your comments..

I JUST bought the X2 (found one local) .. it's now time to mock up the board.

I'm still kind of on the fence about the Peterson going out of the shop... the issue always is that it's over kill... I have small low end tuners that can do the trick..

M80 does have a tuner.. I really havent dorked with it much .. IT mutes when activated.

I can "hear you" about tuning.. the reality is I toured the world for years with only a 440 pitch fork... Everything from my low end import basses to the 7 strings will hold tune for months (note I never gig a bass until the strings have been installed for at least a week).

I will be taking your suggestion and at least moving the tuner out of the chain (smart observation).

I'll be mocking up all of these gizmos and will report back.

Tim

Sincere thanks.. my deepest fear with this thread was that some dork would comment "get a VT" (I already own one.. not necessary)

19. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    It does? You have an MXR M80 Bass DI that has a built-in tuner?
    Mine is like this:
    MXR M80

You must mean the Zoom?

20. MNAirHead

Sorry -- you're correct .. the zoom does. .. I use the M80 to buffer phantom power and fast tweek tone/volume settings

After thinking it over, I may keep the peterson in the chain. I then could use the entire setup for Pedal Steel and eliminate another bag of junk

Tim