1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI on GK 1001RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tycobb73, Feb 19, 2008.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Hi. I have the above amp and use the DI on it. What do you guys think of the DI? I never go out and listen so I don't know what my band's mix sounds like. I do run a Punch Factory so I could use the DI off of that, or get something else if it will improve my tone. What are your opinions?

2. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I have used the DI in my GK1001RB many times for FOH feed and recording and have never had a complaint. It seems like one of the quietest I have owned and I have a fairly expensive Rapco I have owned for years.

JKT

3. I use it all the time. Rather use that than some beat up piece of garbage box that the club has. Plus you can send the signal pre or post D.I. ;)

4. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses

Yeah and that fact alone usually pacifies the average techie so they're less likely to freak over your pedalboard :eek:

JKT

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know how similar it is to the DI on my 2001RB, but I imagine its the same if not close to. That said, for recordings and live use I've been very impressed with the DI on my 2001RB.

6. Quadkilla

Quadkilla

Feb 5, 2008
    Recorded a demo from the gk1001rb2 di and it sounded great,check out some of the bass sounds.I had some fairly old strings but that fits for this music.http://www.steamrocks.com/index.cfm

7. Quadkilla

Quadkilla

Feb 5, 2008
    listen to my fretless work on the song brain dead,and it will give you a good idea of the gk di.:)

8. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Is there any limit to how loud or how high the DI volume should be? I ask because my band was doing some rehearsal recording the other night and I had the 1001RB-II DI somewhere around 75%....

(Edit: Wow, my English/spelling/grammar/all around smartness went south quickly...best I correct that...)

9. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007

I run mine @ 50% OR 12:00 all the time. Then adjust your mixer channel volume/tone . The DI level is really nothing more than a pre-amp to outboard.

10. musicmedic

musicmedic

Mar 24, 2007
    I also run mine on my 700rbII at about 50% and just tweek the gain on the board.

11. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

hey Quad, That is some groovin' stuff! Keep it up.

12. The center position (-15db) is unity gain, which is the same level as your instrument.
    The soundman at a club I play frequently likes it at about 90% for better S/N ratio. You should be OK anywhere from 50% to 100%, depending on the input of your mixer. Here's the manual link.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/1001RB-II_700RB-II.pdf

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    On the first gig I wasn't sure if the DI on my 1001rb would be any good, but the soundman was very happy

14. Quadkilla

Quadkilla

Feb 5, 2008
    Thank you man,i appreciate it .

15. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Can anyone confirm the DI on these is phantom-power-safe?

16. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    When I set up, the sound guy looks at the rack, plugs in on the head, set at noon and forget it. I gave him the choice of a DI, but they like the DI on the head.

17. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I am not 100% sure, but it seems like I read somewhere that you should not run Phantom Power w/ this DI. I dont, and what would be the advantage?

18. I've always had good experences with the DI on my 1001RB-II. The sound guy I work with 90% of the time is very picky and he never says a word unless I need to give him a little more signal..which is where the variable output really comes in handy. The only "complaint" I would have with it is the fact that the connection is in the front...for those times I'm pretty much in one place for weeks at a time (I play mostly at church) it'd be nice to have the connection in the back just to make a cleaner look...

19. That's one of the few complaints I have with G-Ks current line.
    Too many cables sticking out the front if you utilize all the features. I'd prefer input only jacks on front (the controls could stay) and the rest on the back panel.

Still one of the best though(as well as best value out there), IMO!!