Did greenboy just kill the Fearful ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jkzfixme, Jan 5, 2021.

1. jkzfixme

jkzfixme

Jul 8, 2013
    I was planning on doing another fearful build and went to the site ... Fearful is no longer there. I went to the forum ... nothing but a one liner that says "It's dead, Jim."

Why ?

As an active member of the open source community I was so thrilled with the way he handled the Fearful and was more than happy to support the cause by purchasing 2-3 Fearless builds over the years.

Does anyone know what is going on ?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    From the Speaker Hardware Facebook page, Jan 3 2021:

"It appears the Greenboy forum is gone. If you're interested in building a fEARful bass cab, all the plans are posted on my site with their respective kits."

I may have more to say on this later, or not. I'll only post more details if and when I speak to Dave Green directly in any case.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  3. Kits and plans are still available at speaker hardware.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Never really understood what happened. It seemed like he said, "Here are free plans for speakers, Enjoy!" and then was upset that he didn't make money off it. Meanwhile, regular cabs got a lot better.

lomo, TinyE, Hubba-Whaa and 2 others like this.
  5. Grllle

Grllle

Jul 26, 2020
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm really devastated, being at the beginning of my build and spending quite some money at this point for the parts. I have the plans and I think i can get hands on the fearful pages via internet archive but the incredible valuable forum is not recoverable.
    A small warning a few days in advance would have been so helpful to save some of the important threads (beginner's questions etc.). I tried to reach out to dave if there's still a dump around but nothing yet. Does anybody has some dumps of the forum by chance?

6. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    It's not nearly as extensive, but there are lots of good threads in the archives here at TB too

7. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    I'd advise remaining calm...the enclosure is not so difficult to build that you'll need a lot of hand-holding. Having the plans, you should be fine, I would think. Good luck with your build.

Grllle likes this.
  8. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Sigh... for one, the T3W thread had some useful info. I'm sure a lot of building hints and technical details have been lost.

9. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Although posting to the board is "currently disabled", all the old posts can be accessed by anyone who had previously registered there...at least at the current time.

10. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    The forum has been nothing but tumbleweed for quite a while. The only useful thing I found on it were the plans for the T3W crossover. A request for information about using metric plywood was greeted by a demand for money from the forum administrator. No great loss in my opinion.

I've done the metric conversion myself and have copies of all the plans. If anyone needs any of it, I can post it here, including a metric cut sheet if anyone is interested.

lucas303 and wcriley like this.
  11. Grllle

Grllle

Jul 26, 2020
    Hamburg, Germany
    Can't confirm. I'm registered, i can log in but all i get is "it's dead, Jim".

Yeah, thanks! i'm a lot calmer now. Thankfully i had a good read through the forum and yes, i think i can do this without the forum now.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  12. Grllle

Grllle

Jul 26, 2020
    Hamburg, Germany
    I found several posts - old ones, indeed - immensely helping for the beginner i am. Threads on TB and on the BFM forum helped as well but i think i couldn't pull of the built without reading through the forum and asking questions upfront.
    I would really like to preserve the last state of the forum, i have webspace that i can spare but i would need to get hands on a dump.

wcriley likes this.
  13. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Click on the "Login" button in the upper right corner, then enter you login info.
    (At least that worked for me a few minutes ago.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  14. Grllle

Grllle

Jul 26, 2020
    Hamburg, Germany
    That's weird. It doesn't work for me. I'm a supporter but maybe we have different user privileges nevertheless.

Attached Files:

15. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Hmm...I was the moderator there years ago. Maybe Greenie never revoked my moderator privileges and I still have access?

mindwell, Passinwind and Grllle like this.
  16. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    I just checked. I get the same as @Grllle. You're probably right about the priviledges. I never did find a thread with anything useful except the crossover. Build threads on here have been of more practical help than anything I found on the Greenboy forum, and no one here demands donations without answering the question. As long as the plans are available we can build these things until the drivers are no longer made.

Here's the crossover in case anyone is interested.

And here is a metric cut sheet for any Europeans wanting to build one.

The main issue with going metric is that our plywood is 12mm thick instead of 12.7 mm thick. This throws everything off if you just convert all measurement to metric. The baffle will be too small for example. I've done this in such a way as to minimise the change in internal volume. It should only be a handful of square cm different from the imperial version. I should note I haven't actually built it yet. I've got the drivers but covid got in the way and I started other projects. Hoping to build it later this year.

Attached Files:

17. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    What @Passinwind said, plus a couple of the authorized builders still build them

18. Grllle

Grllle

Jul 26, 2020
    Hamburg, Germany
    I wasn't demanded but asked for a donation and i did. I paid for BFM plans as well and thought it would be just fair to contribute at least for server costs. But that's just my personal opinion.

We cut the wood and although being from europe, we decided to buy a tape measure with inches and go for this, avoiding conversion hell.

MattZilla and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  19. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    I'm glad you got it to work but the problem is the difference in thickness. Doing what you suggest, the parts will fit poorly and the internal dimensions will be different. Don't know how much that will matter but .7mm over the area of just the baffle is quite a lot of volume.Doesn't matter what is on you tape measure (can you buy a tape measure that is ONLY metric? I've never seen one in the UK) The boards are still .7mm thinner than the plans call for. Unless you can get imported plywood.

My problem with being asked for money is that it was the only response I got. I might have been inclined to donate if I'd got a helpful response. The forum provided almost nothing of benefit.

lucas303 likes this.
  20. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    :roflmao: I'm laughing because I finally bought a metric tape for the same reason. I should have done it 40 years ago, then (I hope) my use of metric measures would be much more instinctive, rather than my always converting cm to inches in my head. I remember being told in school that we should learn the metric system because we would be changing over to it soon. That was in 1964 and we're still not there, although it is beginning to appear that we'll be drug into the modern world eventually, albeit kicking and screaming.