1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I Overpay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by breakHARD77, May 12, 2010.

1. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    I just bought the following bass on CL for $450. Just got home and looked up the serial number on Fender's website, and it turns out that it was actually made in the 90s! Also, it says that it's the Squier series right at the tip of the guitar in small print. Did I overpay for this thing?? :crying:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1734993469.html

2. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Oh dear Lord...

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If it was made in Japan, then for $450 it was not a bad deal I think, assuming it's in good shape. If it was made in Mexico, China, or Korea then yeah, you overpaid badly IMO. If it's any consolation, a real '70s Fender would normally fetch three times that much.

4. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's a Fender MIM Precision. The body and neck are probably MIA and the electronics are Far East. It was assembled in Ensenada. They typically run for the price of a used MIM P bass or a little less, but they're great basses.

5. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    It's a Mexican...

6. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    the first red flag in that ad is '70s era'. squier didn't start making guitars til ~1982...

7. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    Man, I'm an idiot. What would the going rate be for a bass like this, given its true nature?

8. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Question: "Did I overpay for this thing?? :crying:
    Answer: Yup!:meh:

9. I'll give that a definite red flag, but I'd have to say the main thing to turn you off from this bass is;

"hate to get rid of it, but times are hard and i want to get a rickenbacker!"

"times are hard"... over-price
    "hate to get rid of it"... I don't really care about it at all
    "Want to get a rickenbacker"... need money, won't work.

all the same, nice looking bass if your into the black.
    hope you enjoy it.

david.

10. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    Well, just talked to him again on the phone, and here's what I was able to get.

Apparently, when he went to get the bass set up right before he sold it to me, the neck was replaced with this current neck. He maintains that it's a 70s bass. Don't know what to think...

11. nashvillebassma

nashvillebassma

Mar 20, 2009
    Toledo,Oh
    Hate to say this but I bought the same bass(93 or 94 don't remember) for 150.00 a couple months ago. mines the same color and if you look the pick guard is a single ply cheapo. I bought with plans to mod it but after new knobs and a set of chromes I fell in love it! It's probably as good as any other MIM. From what I've read they did that squier series thing in 93 and 94. All you can do now is take revenge on someone or love the bass! Good luck!

12. nashvillebassma

nashvillebassma

Mar 20, 2009
    Toledo,Oh
    Also thats series for those years came with plastic strat type knobs! Looks like you have the knurled knobs from the pic! See if the pick guard is laminated or cheap looking single ply!

13. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    Ah, yes. He did mention that you could tell if it was a quality bass or not because of the thin knurled knobs.

As for the pick guard, I can't tell the difference... If I took a close-up picture, would you be able to tell?

14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    **** in a box and mail it to him with a thank you note for giving you such a good deal.

15. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Fender Black labels of such as indicated by the headstock logo, were made in the 90's from Overstock US bodies and Necks, far east electronics, just as Yakob said. I've got one from 96 and it's a great bass, I've seem them sell for 375 - 400.

16. nashvillebassma

nashvillebassma

Mar 20, 2009
    Toledo,Oh
    Yes but i'm talking about the edge of it. the cheap ones will be all white on the edge as opposed to white/black/white and the cheap ones don't lay perfectly flat on the body! As far as the knobs go I bought mine from guitar center (proline) 10.00 for the set and they look just like original P/Tele knobs, so that doesn't mean anything. Actually the fact that he pointed that out makes me extremly suspicious!

17. nashvillebassma

nashvillebassma

Mar 20, 2009
    Toledo,Oh
    Also I'll check the neck plate on mine when I get home and see what it looks like because a 70's would almost definately look different!

18. Ouch sorry man i sold a squier series one like that for 120$ last year i bought for 80$ probably worth more then that but i think thats overpaying, sorry but just play the hell out of it

19. CL ad has been deleted.

20. nashvillebassma

nashvillebassma

Mar 20, 2009
    Toledo,Oh
    My neck plate is completely blank so if yours is too it's probably the same. FYI the 1st number after the MN on in the serial is the year it was made! Mine is a 4 making it a 94. My gues is yours is 3,4, or 5.