Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between Carvin and Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTI, Feb 20, 2004.

1. GTI

GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    Until this forum, did not know much about Carvin. I've played through Peavey but not Carvin. From other player's views and experiences with these rigs, what's the difference? Thanks.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Kind of depends on which models you're talking about... I've owned 'practice' Peavey amps, (Microbass, TKO 80, TNT 100), and 'giggable' Carvin amps, (RC600)... They're very comparable in that you can get great usable tones out of both, low dollar outlay, reliability, etc... I've never played a large Peavey or a small Carvin, but wouldn't hesitate to buy either if I was looking for that... (Doesn't help much, does it??)

I don know that Peavey's are built to withstand all but a direct hit from a tactical nuke. Carvin's reliability rating is a little lower through opinions that I've read here, but I've gigged mine steadily for the past five years with very few issues, no more than I would expect from any other amp... I'll just say that I've broken and repaired both brands!

-robert

3. screw the carvins and get a peavey. when a 350 watt hartke head goes into a peavey TX410, and you hear the 600 watt biamped cyclops carvin combo, there's no comparison. Carvin is blown away by Peavey. I wouldn't reccomend any redline carvin stuff to ANYONE.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I own a peavey 130 watt combo that been abused now by myself and others for 25 years. it's cut and still cuts every single gig i've ever played, and i've played with some pretty loud and heavy drummers. i bought the carvin combo they sell for around $400 (don't have a catalog and don't remember the model), the one with the parametric eqs. i returned it immediately. the knobs felt like toy knobs, it rattled, distorted... couldn't put out half of what my peavey does. it turned me off completely to carvin amps.