1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference Between NS Design CR and new EU series

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by SharkB8, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Do you experience the issues on your EU mentioned in this topic?

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I used the original US series bass. The EU series is supposedly made to the same spec except it has a blend knob for the piezos instead of a selector switch.

I thought it was a fabulous sounding instrument, but it did not sound anything like and upright bass. So only buy if you want a bass with a modern and unique fretless tone.

I used the strings that were designed for the bass, so I did not have any trouble accessing the batteries. Upright bass strings are longer and wrap around the battery compartment and you have to loosen the strings to changed the batteries. I thought I read they had fixed this; made the battery compartment like the CR series? Battery life was plenty long. I don't remember the batteries ever going dead on me.

I had the problem with the bass rotating on the stand. It was not initially a problem, but after I owned the bass for awhile and the rubber washer that serves as a clutch dried out a bit, it became impossible to tighten the mount enough to keep the bass from rotating. This is not really a problem when you are playing, but it's frustrating if you double and need to play another instrument. Also the headstock can incur damage as it may hit the stand at a high rate of speed. I don't remember if I solved this or not, but a thin rubber gasket made out of something like a motorcycle inner tube might do the trick.

The 1/4" jack rattled on mine, and I found it irritating. I used a rubber band to put tension on the plug.

The piezos become crackly and intermittent after I owned the bass for several years. I pulled the bridge out to do an inspection and put a little pressure on the piezos and they seemed to work fine for a time. NS Design wanted me to return the entire bass instead of just the bridge as the assembly is fairly fragile when removed from the bass. Round trip shipping plus the repair would have been expensive so I never had it done. I preferred mostly the magnetic pickups anyway. I think it may have just been the arco pair that were acting up and I never used them.

I don't remember having any trouble adjusting the magnetic pickups or the bridge.

I did not find the concave neck easier to play. Instead I felt it required a different set of muscles than my normal upright bass, so if I did not play the NS Design for an extended time my hand would get out of shape and it would be taxing to play the bass for an extended time.

Even when I had been playing the bass enough to get my hand in shape, I felt it could be a bit taxing on the left hand. I never had any work done on the fingerboard or nut and I think it could have been made to play a bit easier.

This was the only bass the military bought for me during my entire career. All the other basses I used were off the shelf. When I retired I had to turn it in, and I miss it greatly.

3. FollowMeDown

FollowMeDown

Feb 8, 2019
    Has anyone ever compared the sound of an NXTa upright and a CR or EU? I'd be REALLY interested in your findings. What does the extra $3k or so buy you tonally?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021