Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between speakon & 1/4in

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt ramey, Jan 19, 2005.

1. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    whats the technical difference between a speakon connector & a 1/4in connector? i know the speakon is supposed to have a cleaner & more energy effiecient connection, but why?

does it really make that big of a difference?

2. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    A 1/4 inch connector was never designed to carry large amounts of power. The actual contact points you get with a 1/4 inch plug are very small. Speakon and banana plugs give you a much more solid connection for higher power applications. Will you hear a difference? I doubt it. I made the move to Speakons for a couple of reasons. First, most cabs are now coming equiped with them. They are very hard to accidently unplug and you can fix them without a soldering iron. Most repairs can be done with a screw driver.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Do a search, there are GREAT threads on these points already. Lots of great info and opinions from lots of people, no need to re-invent the wheel.

4. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    well now im a bit more confused. i guess i thought it was more simple than it actually was.

so. i have a tech21 landmark 600 head running to an ampeg pr-410hlf cab. so whats all this business about +1/-1 & +2/-2 i dont really understand it at all....

help???

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    4 pole speakons are made to handle 2 signals for bi-amping, so you have 2 sets of positive and negative contacts.

6. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    so what do i use if im just connecting the head to one cab?

7. My understanding is that if you run Bi-Amped then you use +1 for positive and -1 for negative of one output section and +2 for positive and -2 for negative of the other. If you just run a straight single output amp then only +1 and -1 are used.

Another great feature of the speakon connector is they lock in place by inserting and turning to the right slightly. Then pull the metal tab toward you on the top of the connector and twist and pull to remove.

Also, the wires do not need soldering on a Speakon...just insert and tighten the screw.

8. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I bought a power amp that could use either 1/4th or speakon, people always told me to get the speakon just because its a power amp and its safer. i didnt get that idea untill i went and bought the speakon. I has a lock on it, in order to remove the speakon plug from the amp you need to push this thing over and slide it, its build really solid too. That sold me, i know there are lots of other reasons, but that is one secure connection.

9. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    (If you just run a straight single output amp then only +1 and -1 are used.)

This is correct