1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

difference between Traynor YBA-200 and YBA-200-2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kamilwysocki, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Does anyone out there know if the specs for the YBA-200-2 are any different from the the 200?

2. The self biasing (which it wasn't) was removed.

Different logo on the front.

Otherwise, same amp.

I owned the first version for a while and ran it through their 8x8 cab. Loved the cab, the head not so much.

3. They got rid of the autobias system, many of the original 200 models were modded to be the same.

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The self-biasing circuit was removed and the stock tubes changed from 6550 to KT88. I believe the reason for the removal of the self-biasing circuit was that when the power tubes died, they tended to trigger a lot of other components to blow. I talked to Traynor's technicians and they said that the first revision ones should be fine if you used KT88s instead of 6550s.

5. Is the difference in volume between the two really noticeable? And would modding it be a difficult task?

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You aren't going to notice as much difference in overall volume unless you do something to affect the clean volume of the amp. I.E. - switching preamp tube V2 with a quality 12AT7 and replacing your set with some high-quality, late distortion power tubes (I use Tung-Sol 6550's and they are AMAZING) with a good cabinet will get you pretty far. I have the regular 200 version, but I bought a good set of tubes from dougstubes.com (the tung-sols). If you want gritty bass tone that breaks up pretty early on, get some medium distortion tubes....big, thumpy, and loud with a lot of volume before they break up then get you some late distortion tubes. I couldn't find any quality late distortion KT-88's at the time I was looking, but the 6550's do just fine for me.

7. okay so i got some 12at7's, can i just plug em in and play or do I have to adjust the bais? I've got the 200 model.

8. Those are preamp tubes. Just turn it off, let it all cool then swap em out.

I ran a 12at7 in front to help with a slower breakup.

9. okay, thanks