Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MOR_Lio, Jan 22, 2005.

1. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Hi guys,

I plan on buying an Fender American Jazz Bass pretty soon, but sometimes I wonder if a Deluxe wouldn't b worth to pay a bit more.

Could you tell me the exact differences between the regular Jazz Basses and the deluxes, and especially if you think it is worth paying more than 100 extra bucks to have a deluxe.

Thanks a lot.

2. The Americans have passive electronics. The deluxe has active with a pre. I think the body is shaped differently too.

I think thats about it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk the deluxes are nicer and worth it. I think active is worth it and i like the body shape of them also.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have an older deluxe, and it is SWEET! I don't know what the newest electronics sound like, but I have the Suhr preamp, and DiMarzios. I changed out the old pickups, but I might switch back, and fiddle around with the dimarzios.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Depends on what kind of tone you are looking for and what kind of music you play. If you want old-school type tone a passive bass will suit you nicely. More modern stuff? You might want to go active. Play both and see what you think.

6. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm not sure the shape is different, but I know it's a little smaller than the regular ones.

I have a newer American Deluxe Jazz (from 2000, I think), and it's worth it for me - I find the preamp to be very useful. I learned on an active bass and then I got the Jazz; I don't know if I'd ever get used to a passive bass.

But it depends on if you think you'll need the preamp - as r379 said, play both basses and decide which one you'll need.

7. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Are you sure about that? Because I have heard that actually the Deluxe sound is more meant to reproduce the old-school tone?

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I would say that a search for vintage tone would be better served with a passive bass because, after all, vintage basses were passive. Having said that, I will say that I prefer passive basses. Which "vintage were you looking for? Sixties vintage will involve alder/rosewood and '70s-'80s would be more likely ash/maple or ash/rosewood.

9. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Well, I am not looking specifically for a vintage tone. Actually, I would be satisfied with a tome similar to those of Led Zeppelin but I dont know if you consider that vintage.

But what I play is more modern stuff with such influences as Rage against the machine.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Don't know about anyone else, but I would consider Led Zeppelin ('60s Jazz Bass) to be vintage tone.

11. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Led Zeppelin is to vintage tone as hotdogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet are to being American....

Oh, let's not forget that cool headstock logo on the Deluxe....

12. I think the QC on the deluxe series is abit above that on the standard.

If I was headin' towards the JPJ sound tho, I'd swing for a passive + flats.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The Deluxe neck joins the body at the 22 fret, the standred at the 21st fret. The deluxe has a graphite reinforced neck ( I beleive two graphite rods running paralel thru the neck) I don't beleive the standred does. My deluxe, about 5 years old, has the noiseless pickups (they are quiter) and a 3 band pre designed by John Pensa (Pense-suhr). The other difference is a Abalone logo on the headstock to match the neck dots. The body does have a slightly different shape, maybe slightly reduced almost like a Daryl Jones. NOW THE SHAMELESS PLUG, I have one (Deluxe-Maple sunburst Alder body) on consignment at Low Down Sound in Detroit www.lowdownsound.com It's a good bass and with some good flats it could get that 60's vibe, I beleive there asking 799!

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have an American made Jazz Deluxe 5'er and it's definitely cooler than a regular ole Jazz :)

15. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I've got an '02 MIA Deluxe. I've had it for about 4 months now and am only now appreciating the variety of tones you're able to get out of it. I've got no complaints, but am curious how mine stacks up against the newer ones with the new pickups and 18v pre.

16. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You are right...the new Deluxes made in 2004 have SCN pickups and an 18volt preamp. With the preamp flat (no boost or cut) it has a great vintage jazz tone. Totally worth it over the regular jazz. I have the 5 string version and I can't say enough about tone, looks or playability. Good luck.
    -Bazz-