1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Differences between Animas & Compas 360's?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Monki, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Hi, have been trying to find some info around here about the difference between the Animas and Compas 360's. What I've got is that the compass are a bit cheaper and thinner, but really nothing muche else. They also seems to have the same copper winding and made with synthetic/silk core (or is the core diffrent?).. They should also have the same tension, (according to a TB post).

Anyone got any first or second hand experience with them, and what makes them diffrent? Wich one best for bowing etc..

Been using Evah Pirazzis for some time now, like them, but have started thinking about trying Velvets. Part for the velvet sound, part for going down with tension. Sometimes feels the pirazzis are a bit too stiff for me, since I get tired and thorn (+little bit pain) in my left wrist and pinky-finger, so I have to take it easy with my playing for awile then.. Now I've soon got a musician jobb :)hyper:) for quite some time so maybe it would be wise to try some lighter strings, I thought..

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Animas are not great for bowing. If you're coming from Evah Pirazzis, you may be disappointed with the arco response of Animas. The EPs are among the best arco strings I've used. Never have tried the Compas, sorry.

One thing I've noticed is that the tension of the Evahs has softened quite a bit, and I find them very agreeable for long sessions now. I don't know if I've gotten stronger, or if it's a matter of perception, but I just did a week of all-day recording sessions, with gigs every night, and it wasn't a problem. If your EPs are really new, you might want to give them a bit longer before you switch.

That said, I love the Velvet strings for pizz playing.

3. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, I've had the Pirazzis for 7-8 months or something, so they're well played in. I also think that I'm stronger now than a year ago (only been playing DB for about 2 years), but was thinking that since I get tired when I playing alot, going down on stringtension would allow me to play and practice more (if..), while taking care of my hand.

Yeah, know about velvets not being the best arco string, but I practise a lot arco, but pizz is what I "have" to play.. still want to have a decent arco sound. Tried Spiro Weichs a year ago, and it was OK I think (and my bowing has improved since). So I guess I'll just have to try to know for sure..

Still trying to sort out the difference between animas/360's bit. :)

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I think the core is different. 360's have some sort of plastic core.

Animas have a rich complex tone. 360's have a simple plastic kind of sound more like Dominants. 360's sounded really good with the pickup on my baby bass, Animas didn't drive it very well.

Animas are a beast all to themselves. A truly original string. Complex, fat, low tension, bloom, zing without buzz. 360s were pretty lame overall in comparison. Pizz on Animas was compelling and frustrating at the same time. 360's did nothing for me. Arco wasn't all that good on either.

EP are far better arco strings than either of those. Pizz on Animas is great, arco is a challenge. I don't know why the 360's are made. I can't figure out where they fit.

5. Compas 360 are a little thinner, probably a higher ratio of metal to silk than animas, and the outer wrap of wire is round. Animas are much smoother. The compas strings seem to be higher tension also.

6. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    The difference between the Animas and the 360's is the proportion of silk core and copper, the 360's have less silk and less copper winding while the Animas have more silk on the core and the copper winding is a bit thicker. Both have the same tension on all 4 strings, 25 kgs per string.
    All Velvet Strings have a natural silk core, there was never a Velvet String with a synthetic core. In the very near future Velvet will make a synthetic core string, but at the moment (and its been like that for the last 6 years), all strings have a silk core. Before they had a gut core

Nuno

7. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Came to think about those Compas 180 also now... Seems like nice strings what I've read about them..

Nuno> Does Velvet have any string guages numbers for these strings? There is that string guage/tension list linked to here on TB, were there are some numbers for The 180's.. but what 180's aer that? If there are any guage differecens between all the different 180's?