1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Differences in Battery Brands

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by albass111, Feb 28, 2008.

1. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I read in a 90's guitar magazine, that Eric Johnson can tell the difference between Energizers and Duracells in his pedals. I can imagine that a quality battery may have better performance than a generic, but that might be a myth. Do you guys have a brand preference or notice different characteristics with batteries? I guess this question is specific to preamps and pedals.

2. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    There is a difference for sure. Duracell has a copper top and Energizers do not.

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I meant sonically, but I think that most of you know that.

4. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    Being able to tell the difference sonicly between brands of batteries seems a little silly to me, but hey, you never know. Maybe I'm being naive. :eyebrow:

5. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah I agree, but have you heard Eric Johnson's tone? Seems like he'd be fincky. I have never heard anyone make an SG sound the way he does.

6. jony

jony

May 11, 2007
    The thing about Eric Johnson is that in his Fuzz Face pedal, the battery is part of the circuit. The Fuzz Face being such a simple thing electronically, every component has a larger say in the sound.

The Fuzz Face is very sensitive to batteries. For active bass electronics... I wonder if there is any real difference.

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm a total non-believer in battery mystique, but after using lower cost alkalines and having them not last too long, there may be something to buying a quality 9V. I CAN tell the difference in a new battery and one that is getting ready to go away! ;)

8. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    OK, inspired by this thread I went to Lowes and got an Ultralife battery. Now it chaps me to pay $7 for a 9V:eek:, but I'll let you guys know how long it lasts if there is any interest.

9. what about rechargeable

10. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    ONE YEAR UPDATE:

The UltraLife battery is still in my main gigging bass. Had NO idea it had been a year though! :eek:

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    AFAIK most rechargeable batteries do not provide their "potential" voltage. They are always a little below their nominal value. I may be wrong, though

12. kbr

kbr Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Oviedo, Fl
    I have Ultralifes in a most of my active basses. I put them in when I get them. I've only had to change one so far. The only problem is they're a bit bit bigger than Energizers/Duracells so I've found that some of the tighter battery cavitys don't fit them.