Different neck shapes? Chart?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pdusen, Oct 10, 2004.

1. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I keep reading about different neck shapes (C, V, D) and I was wondering if there is a chart of some kind that shows what they look like and the differences between them. Like Warmoth's neck shape chart, but it doesn't name any of the above.
  2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i know fender used to make different sized necks back in the day. A was the thinnest, B was in the middle, and C was FAT. personally i prefer the C necks. more comfortable.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I love V-shaped necks -- unfortunately, I've only ever played one! And it was a guitar! :crying:

What are the companies that make V-neck basses?
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thin D - Jazz
    Thick C - P
    V - never heard of this neck shape
  5. Generally, for widths, A = 1.5" (1 1/2") width at the nut, or a Jazz bass. B is like today's P-basses, 1.625" (1 5/8") width. C is like older P basses, say pre-1965 or so, 1.75" (1 3/4"). Next, for shapes. C shape is your standard fender shape. Incidentally, it kinda resembles a C.The V shape is more like a V, it literally points more near the center of the neck. pics of C and V shapes can be found somewhere in the Fender Frontline catalogues, probably the custom shop section. They show pics of guitar necks, showing both V and C.
  6. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Here are a couple examples
  7. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.
  8. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    eric claptons blackie i think is a v neck, and he probably auctioned off a few more.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played a Washburn Explorer bass ripoff a while back, it had the hard V neck. Which felt pretty good, actually. Think about it. Hold you hand up (relaxed), your thumb curves in a bit, right? It's not straight up and down, or back bent a little, like when you play.

The V shape let my thumb rest more or less like it sits naturally. It was a little funky feeling at first, but I warmed to it pretty quick. If it wasn't so heavy, neck dive, and sound like ass, I might have been interested in it.
  10. Wal Mach I basses have a soft "v" shape down towards the nut that gradually blends in as you get higher up on the neck... extremely comfortable to play IMHO.
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Ken Bebensee uses an angular V, just like the example in Darrin's pic (and rare on bass).

Some Pedullas may have a very slight V?
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Hard V = GREAT profile. I'd love to own a bass like that.
  13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Linc Luthier basses have a hard V profile that is a bit, not a lot, asymetrical as the neck gets wider. VERY comfortable neck, killer tones, but a little hard to get used to the look. I will probably buy one someday but do wish it was a little more traditional looking.

That being said, I don't think there are any better sounding basses out there - and I own a Ken Lawrence Brase 5, a MTD 535, and a Lakland 55-94!

Dan K.