1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

different types or p-bass body wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedLS1Iroc, Apr 16, 2009.

1. RedLS1Iroc

RedLS1Iroc

Apr 6, 2008
    currently im in the process of building a budget p bass. im looking to buy a cheap squier p bass to part out with execption of the body which i plan to refinish but im not sure how to tell what type of wood the squiers bodies are w/o stripping the paint. i have heard that some squier bodies are constructed out of plywood which i dont want to use. i guess what im asking is how can i make sure not to get a plywood body when purchasing a squier?

2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Why don't you just buy an SX and be done with it ? It'll be cheaper and you'll be sure there are no plywood shenanigans going on. You can then strip and refinish.

The only thing that is crappy is the neck color and headstock shape, especially if you want the bass to look like a Fender, but you can sand one and reshape the other.

PS: Never plan on refinishing such a cheap bass a transparent or translucent color unless it already was.

Reasons:
    a) Stripping is hell and you can damage the underlying wood. Great quantities of filler look bad with see through finishes.
    b) You don't know what the body looks like. Some Squire bodies might not be plywood, but they are 5 pieces with a veneers on the back and front. Not really pretty.