Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digi-Key?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tim__x, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I was wondering if anyone here has any experience ordering from Digi-key?
    How was the service? Shipping? And do they accept orders smaller than the standard component pack? i.e. If I wanted to buy ten OPA134PA's would they let me even though it says "<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>Standard Package</TD><TD>50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Their standard packaging refers to quantities in tubes from manufacturers. DIP8's generally come in tubes of 50.

I used to work for a semiconductor distributor. You're gonna pay $2.25 apiece for 10 probably. Digikey is a great supplier however, as if you go anywhere else, most have a $50 minimum order.

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks alot tplyons.

Do you know any good places to get pots,specifiecly 100K and 500K panel mount linear tapers.

Edit: I'm looking for a cheap source that will ship to canada.

Edit of edit:I'm also looking for a source of XLR jacks male and female, stereo (TRS) 1/4" jacks and just plain mono 1/4" jacks

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sorry, can't say I do. I get most of that wierd stuff off a few friends or eBay.

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Check out mouser.com I used to get my parts from them.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Digikey tells you what the minimum quantity is when you order online. Opamps and things like that are usually single quantity, and the standard package quantity doesn't matter.

Mouser is the standard source for pots, especially the cheap Alpha ones, but Digikey has some good quality ones as well. Newark Electronics is a good place to go for special order pots, but you better not be in a hurry! I just split an order between Mouser and Digikey, since neither one could provide everything I needed. Markertek and Full Compass both do jacks of every flavor, in bulk if you want them that way.

Finally, Small Bear claims to specialize in international shipping, and has a decent selection. I have no first hand experience with them though.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Smallbear is great for small orders and everything. Can't say a bad thing about Steve.