Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davehenning, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am in the market for a new digital camera.

I have been rooting around the web, but could you guys give me a few suggestions?

I am looking for nothing too fancy or pricey. Just a point and shoot camera for a Powerbook G4 1.25ghz.

Thanks in advance.

2. i have a sony DSC-P32 cyber-shot 3.2 megapixel digi camera, and i dont think you will find a better camera for the money. i payed 170 for it new and this thing rocks. it has on board editing (black and white, resizing, etc) and other high end features, and the quality is pretty darn good for the price, heres a pic of my ferret i took with it.
    [​IMG]

ps, the movie function rocks! the picture quality isnt the best, but this little thing picks up sound pretty decently, all in all you cant get a better camera for less than 200 bucks :)

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Dave,
    Check out http://www.dpreview.com/. There is a wealth of info in this site, as well as very helpful comprehensive reviews, etc. However, if you're not looking to do a lot of research to find a particular camera that is right for you, Cannon makes very good digital cameras in all price ranges, and their software packages and manuals are widely considered to be the best available. Good luck.

4. yup! i was actually looking to buy a cannon, but i couldnt find one at my local electronic stores, so i went with the sony. i'd say both are respectable brands that will serve your purposes well.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You guys rock!

I am leaning towards the Canon A75, but that Sony looks good too.

I just don't know enough about digital cameras and the huge selection is a bit overwhelming.

Any more advice is very welcome.

6. i would just recommend you get a respected brand and at least 3 megapixels, anything more is nice, but not worth the extra money unless you're looking for pro level quality imo.

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. Yeah, from the research I have been doing it looks like a 3 megapixel should be the minimum. Anything far above that is really useless for my purposes which is snapshots and other general use.

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I second (third?) the vote for a Canon. I have a Digital Ixus VIII 3.2MP and it's a fantastic little camera. I think it's the Powershot model in the U.S.
    Really good image quality, powerful yet simple and intuitive controls, rugged steel case....starting to sound like a brochure :D
    The only problem I have with it (and it's not the camera's fault) is that I'm starting to miss the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. Oh well, better start saving for a D100 ;)

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    ,Yeah, we just got a Kodak Easyshare DX 6490. It's SICK.

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Keep the advice coming, it is a huge help.

I trust the folks at TB more than any other site on the web.

11. I have this same camera, and I also have no problem giving it a very high recommendation. Although, you really can't go wrong with any of Sony's DSC models.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    To that I would add that you should also make sure and get one that has at least 3x optical zoom, which is really quite useful. Completely ignore the digital zoom stats as I've found digital zoom to be quite worthless in my camera. Actually I remember reading a review of one camera in which the digital zoom actually worked without pixilating the picture but I don't remember which one it was.

brad cook

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have the Kodak DX4530 5 megapixel. Its a great camera as far as easy of use and features. After using it I would say that 5 megapixels is overkill for sending pics in emails and such, but it doesn't hurt to have because I can lower the quality in the menu. For the overall quality, features, and easy of use, I'd say it's worth the $300 it costs.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I would say if you're going to be printing pictures alot then it would be worth getting a 4 or 5 megapixel camera, but if it is just for email and web stuff, 3 is plenty. A lot of times you can't even send pics that are 5 megapixels because the file's too big.

15. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Canon has a strong line of digital cameras for a great price, I would suggest to check them out.

Might as well ask here, but what are some printer options that can print film like quality and not to heavy on the wallet?

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you're just emailing pics then as low as 1.3 megapixels is fine. A 3 megapixel camera on it's highest settings can print out photo quality prints up to 11x14 or so. 3 megapixels would pretty much be wasted if you're just using it for emailing and web stuff. Most people aren't just going to use it for that though.

brad cook

17. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
  18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Either the Canon Powershot A70 has finally come down in price or Buy.com is just having a sale on it but either way they have a great deal on it right now with free shipping:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90127409&adid=17070&dcaid=17070

I've had one since last June and it's a great camera with lots of features that has gotten great reviews all around.

I attached one picture that I took with the camera that I just happened to have on my work computer. It looked great in a large size too but it won't let me attach anything over 600x600.

brad cook

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

What is something good under $200 other than the one Defeldus recommended.

I was looking at the Cannon PowerShot A300