Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech BP-80 ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Ok, i asked the dude at GC about it and he said it was great...

i used it there for alittle, took it home, and i experimented with it for about 1 hour... anyway; i asked him before i bought it if it has a distorter or anything like that on it, and he says ya. when i when there i went there to buy a distorter, and the guy recommended the bp80... i thought it was a kinda off idea.

anyway, i wanted something with a distorter on it, and some other effects or several kinds of distorters. some of the effects dont seem to do anything, and others barely do something (in the pre effects that came with it).

now my question is, is there a distorter of some sort on it? if so, how do i get to it to turn it on? or, am i better off taking it back and getting something else?

-thx

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    +1

3. well, i'd take it back since you don't seem to be very happy...the BP80 is a multi-effects box, where you would not only get distortion, but a multitude of other effects, such as flangers, phasors, and amp sims.

one more point of advice, don't take anybodys word (especially GC's) for something at the guitar store. try it out for yourself. i know you said you did, but if you weren't impressed with it at the store, you probably won't like it at home!

but i guess to just answer your question, yes there is a distortion preset, and you turn the BP80 on by plugging in the power i believe. you may even like the distortion, but i wasn't impressed by it...it may work for you, i don't know

Charlie

4. Chef316

Chef316

Oct 19, 2004
    dont take it back! theres a distorter on it...you just gotta read the manuel and turn it on...i have it set up on mine with several diferent kinds of distortions!

5. The different types of distortion are in the amp modeling section. (last 5 presets)

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I know this is going to sound as if I have other motives for posting besides giving you the best independent advice that I have, but hear me out.

I looked on MF and saw that the BP-80 is selling for something $100.

I am selling a BP-200 for $115 (including an adapter).

The difference between these two units is night and day. The BP-200 is a multi-fx processor with tons of programmable effects. Not only can you mix, match, and save your settings, but you can create entirely new sounding effects using gain, eq, gate, and stompbox settings. There are also 40 presets.

Recently, I have been using my BP-200 mostly as a compressor (one of the strengths of the BP-200), but I have a dedicated compressor pedal on the way.

If you are looking to get something quick, I would return the BP-80 and order the "Refurb" BP-200 off MF. Otherwise, you may want to consider my offer.

7. Naterade

Naterade

Apr 29, 2004
    Franklin, MA
    It sounds like you're not impressed with what you got so you should probably return it. The digitech multiple effects pedals are really crappy compared to single effects pedals. I'd recommend trying out different single effect pedals and going with the one or two you like best. The sound quality of the crappiest single effect pedal will still be better than anything that the digitech multiple effects pedals will ever produce.