Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tihi, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Hi!

I'm assembling a Fender Precision. Have a beautifull rosewood A neck, and other parts.

Now I'm looking at two bodies on ebay:

1. '74 precision ash body, natural, original finish

2. '69 precision alder body, extralight, refinished in Natural

What would be the tonal characteristics, pros. and cons...etc
    We play mostly instrumental jazz/rock, simfo-rock, fusion...
    Need some punchy, well defined sound that cut's through.

Thanks!

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Not to be a jerk, but sounds to me like you want a Jazz instead of a Precision.

that said, I think the Ash is generally considered to be a little more punchy, with Alder slightly warmer compariatively speaking.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would opt for the Ash body. To me ash has a bit more attack and is a little 'ruder' while alder tends to be a little smoother and more polite.

4. Don't know how to express what I want. Also my english is not so great.
    I have an '75 jazz bass allready, and it works great in the band. But for some heavier tunes I need some stronger P sound. But I don't want something with only to much low end that just rumbles and floats around, but a strong and defined P sound, and I don't know what will do better - ash or alder?
    Also, because I have the other parts, I'm looking for a nice P body. If I dislike the sound at the end, I'm gonna sell it.
    Thanks!

5. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I love alder P's with maple necks, but since you're using rosewood you may like the ash better.

6. I like the alder best, mainly because most '70s ash bodies were very heavy. Any tonal differences can be adjusted with EQ.