1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tihi, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Hi!

I'm assembling a Fender Precision. Have a beautifull rosewood A neck, and other parts.

Now I'm looking at two bodies on ebay:

1. '74 precision ash body, natural, original finish

2. '69 precision alder body, extralight, refinished in Natural

What would be the tonal characteristics, pros. and cons...etc
    We play mostly instrumental jazz/rock, simfo-rock, fusion...
    Need some punchy, well defined sound that cut's through.

Thanks!

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Not to be a jerk, but sounds to me like you want a Jazz instead of a Precision.

that said, I think the Ash is generally considered to be a little more punchy, with Alder slightly warmer compariatively speaking.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would opt for the Ash body. To me ash has a bit more attack and is a little 'ruder' while alder tends to be a little smoother and more polite.

4. Don't know how to express what I want. Also my english is not so great.
    I have an '75 jazz bass allready, and it works great in the band. But for some heavier tunes I need some stronger P sound. But I don't want something with only to much low end that just rumbles and floats around, but a strong and defined P sound, and I don't know what will do better - ash or alder?
    Also, because I have the other parts, I'm looking for a nice P body. If I dislike the sound at the end, I'm gonna sell it.
    Thanks!

5. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I love alder P's with maple necks, but since you're using rosewood you may like the ash better.

6. I like the alder best, mainly because most '70s ash bodies were very heavy. Any tonal differences can be adjusted with EQ.

7. Thanks