Dimarzio Model P vs Seymour Duncan SPb-2 Hot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Drawoh, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Drawoh

Drawoh

Apr 23, 2019
    Hi,

2nd post :)

As the title suggests, I am seeking opinions and advice of how these two compare to each other directly - I have read a few posts about each but not a head to head.

Does the Model P have as much mids than the SPB-2?

Which one has the least treble?

How does the character of the Model P compare to the SPB-2? Is the Model P more modern sounding due to being ceramic and the SPB-2 more vintage?

Any other points regarding the difference in these pickups?

Many thanks.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I used to have a 2004 MIA Precision, in which I used both pickups, starting with the DiMarzio and moving to the SPB-2. This was years ago, but I'll share my impressions nonetheless.

Does the Model P have as much mids than the SPB-2? The DiMarzio is more full-range, and doesn't have the huge bump in the low midrange like the SPB-2. The DiMarzio has plenty of lows and mids, but it has a more even frequency response, so it's less fat/boomy than the SPB-2.

Which one has the least treble? SPB-2. It's a heavily overwound version of the vintage-voiced SPB-1, so it has higher output, boosted low mids, and reduced treble.

How does the character of the Model P compare to the SPB-2? Is the Model P more modern sounding due to being ceramic and the SPB-2 more vintage? I thought the Duncan had a warmer, more vintage flavor than the DiMarzio, which makes sense given its design. The Duncan is fat and smooth, while the DiMarzio has a little more punch.

Any other points regarding the difference in these pickups? If you've ever heard a G&L with an MFD split-coil, the DiMarzio is pretty close, but to me the G&L pickup has a slightly more vintage vibe, and least in my SB-2 vs. the MIA P in which I used the DiMarzio. If you've ever heard a mid-1990s MIJ Precision with a higher output pickup, like the 1994 Foto Flame I used to have, the SPB-2 sounds pretty close to those.

Zoobiedood, FretlessFatty and Drawoh like this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I pretty much agree with @Nedmundo and his answers to the OP’s questions.

Nedmundo and Drawoh like this.
  4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    They both have plenty of mids - the SPB-2 has less treble.

Drawoh likes this.
  5. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    If someone cites a Foto Flame, they mean that the pickup they're talking about has some bite.

Drawoh likes this.
  6. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I used both pickups across two PJ Mustang basses. The Model P had more character whereas the SPB-2 sounded a bit plain, if beefy, to my ears.

Drawoh likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021