Dimarzio Model P vs Seymour Duncan SPb-2 Hot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Drawoh, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Drawoh

Drawoh

Apr 23, 2019
    Hi,

2nd post :)

As the title suggests, I am seeking opinions and advice of how these two compare to each other directly - I have read a few posts about each but not a head to head.

Does the Model P have as much mids than the SPB-2?

Which one has the least treble?

How does the character of the Model P compare to the SPB-2? Is the Model P more modern sounding due to being ceramic and the SPB-2 more vintage?

Any other points regarding the difference in these pickups?

Many thanks.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I used to have a 2004 MIA Precision, in which I used both pickups, starting with the DiMarzio and moving to the SPB-2. This was years ago, but I'll share my impressions nonetheless.

Does the Model P have as much mids than the SPB-2? The DiMarzio is more full-range, and doesn't have the huge bump in the low midrange like the SPB-2. The DiMarzio has plenty of lows and mids, but it has a more even frequency response, so it's less fat/boomy than the SPB-2.

Which one has the least treble? SPB-2. It's a heavily overwound version of the vintage-voiced SPB-1, so it has higher output, boosted low mids, and reduced treble.

How does the character of the Model P compare to the SPB-2? Is the Model P more modern sounding due to being ceramic and the SPB-2 more vintage? I thought the Duncan had a warmer, more vintage flavor than the DiMarzio, which makes sense given its design. The Duncan is fat and smooth, while the DiMarzio has a little more punch.

Any other points regarding the difference in these pickups? If you've ever heard a G&L with an MFD split-coil, the DiMarzio is pretty close, but to me the G&L pickup has a slightly more vintage vibe, and least in my SB-2 vs. the MIA P in which I used the DiMarzio. If you've ever heard a mid-1990s MIJ Precision with a higher output pickup, like the 1994 Foto Flame I used to have, the SPB-2 sounds pretty close to those.

Lammchop93, JRT64, Zoobiedood and 2 others like this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I pretty much agree with @Nedmundo and his answers to the OP’s questions.

Nedmundo and Drawoh like this.
  4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Huntsville
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    They both have plenty of mids - the SPB-2 has less treble.

Drawoh likes this.
  5. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    If someone cites a Foto Flame, they mean that the pickup they're talking about has some bite.

Drawoh likes this.
  6. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I used both pickups across two PJ Mustang basses. The Model P had more character whereas the SPB-2 sounded a bit plain, if beefy, to my ears.

Drawoh likes this.
  7. BrotherR

BrotherR

Sep 14, 2021
    Just put the SD Hot P in my Squire P Bass and now it kicks so much butt. It wasn't terrible before but it definitely wasn't good either. Stock pickups in the squire are what they are... a cheap intro to bass that people can afford. However I suggest the Hot P for replacement pick up. It is extremely fat, punchy, has a bright sound. Seems like the output level is 50 to 75 percent increase in volume. Very cool pick up for about 90 bucks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    JRT64 likes this.
  8. JRT64

JRT64

Jul 13, 2020
    I have a Model P in my SX P-Bass and it is excellent. But I am seriously thinking about putting an SPB-2 in my Squier CV P because that deep, low mid boosted tone is what I envision for that bass. I remember playing a 1969 or 70 Fender Precision back around 1983, and loving that deep, low mid growl that bass had. I wish I could have bought that Fender, as it was for sale on consignment. But I was just a young buck, and didn't have the money to spare.

9. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    SPB-2 is a fantastic pickup, what a lot of people neglect to do is to tweak the pickup/there setup to get the best results.

For example some people will try the pickup with 250k pots and then say that it is too dark, if you try it with 500k pots or with a 500k volume and no load tone then you will get a noticeable increase in high frequencies.

The other thing to do is to make sure the pickup is close enough to the strings, if the pickup is too far away from the strings you will get a darker, woolier tone, I have mine as close as I can get out without wolf tones.

Thirdly, this pickup is very reactive to string type, flats, halfrounds and darker toned strings will get a wooly tone, stainless steel strings will get you a much bitier tone.

Lastly playing technique plays a big role in the tone from this pickup, it is very reactive to technique, play softly and you will get a warmer tone, dig in hard and this pickup really barks and growls.

jallenbass likes this.
  10. JRT64

JRT64

Jul 13, 2020
    I eventually decided to pull the trigger on another DiMarzio Model P for my Squier CV Precision. I admit I was highly intrigued with the SD spb-2. But in the end, after hearing all the comments, and listening to sound demos, I decided to go with what I am familiar with, and what I know will sound great for what I play. I love the Model P in my SX, and I know I will in the Squier too. And I saved a few bucks as well price wise.

andronik likes this.
  11. JRT64

JRT64

Jul 13, 2020
    I had the Model P installed in my Squier CV 60's P last week and gigged with it last weekend. I was very pleased with it, as I thought I would be. That was the right pick up for what I wanted that bass to sound like.