1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disappointing :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BabyCul, Dec 6, 2011.

1. A couple of days ago, I picked up my brand new Warwick Rockbass $$ 5 (Nirvana Black Oil) from the store, only to get home and find it rattled on every string from the 5th fret upwards. Straight back to the store, in which it seems it wasn't set up properly before it arrived instore, and thankfully, the staff member was a Warwick enthusiast :) After all attempts of checking the truss rod and re-setting the bridge; it continues to rattle now from the octave upwards.

The end result is that another replacement bass is being sent, as it appears that there is something either in the fret height or beyond the adjustment abilities.

Anyone else had dramas like this?

Cul

2. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    No, but i have heard of people that its happend to.
    I personally dont like Warwick but i quess if they are gonna send a new bass they have good customer service.

3. Yes they have been helpful so far. Thankfully I have been dealing with a store that knows it's product. It's just a shame that this one had an issue that couldn't be fixed instore. Normally the bass has to be sent back for inspection before a new replacement is issued, but the new one is
    already on the way here; so I can't complain.
    I haven't heard to much negative feedback about even the cheaper Rockbass line, but it seems to be more about personal preferences.

4. This is why if it isnt made in Germany, it isnt a Warwick

5. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    That's not good customer service, that's the least they could do! If a brand like Warwick sells a bad bass I wouldn't expect less than this, normal service. Good customer service would be an apology, bass delivered at home and a free setup or string set to compensate for the trouble. That's good service. :)

6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Relax, this also happened to German made Warwicks.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I would've played it in the store before even taking it home. However, that's hindsight. If they're sending another new one, cool, see how that one turns out.

8. ^^This^^.

9. Really! Id love to see that....

10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    If every effort and adjustment combination doesn't alleviate that rattle (truss rod, bridge) the chances are good that there's a twist in the neck. It may not be very apparent sighting down the neck, and you don't need much, but a precision straight edge will show it immediately. With a twist no amount of diddling (like hardware replacement) will change anything. There may also be a flip up at the neck heel - more stuff that you don't want on a new bass. After all, this is wood and wood comes good and bad - things happen.

IMO - I'd just return it and let them worry about it. Get another one. These kind of issues should not be showing up in a new bass. If a standard setup doesn't fix it immediately don't go any further. Let the store worry about this one and get yourself a brand new replacement. You don't need the grief - once something like this starts up right out of the gate it'll never be truly right. You work hard for your money. Get what you paid for.

11. Basclef112: Thanks for the advice. The supplier has a replacement in transit, which has been in the hands of their tech for the last couple of days to check for any issues relating to humidity and movement. Hopefully it will be here by next Friday.

JimiLL: I couldn't afford a German Warwick. I work hard and I bought the best I could amongst all the bills I have to pay. In a perfect world, I would have forked out thousands for my dream bass, but in these times, I get enjoyment out of the next best thing.

12. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    So the frets lifted above the 12th fret and this couldn't be fixed by trussrod adjustments?

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I'm no fan of Warwicks - but I've never seen a German Warwick that wasn't very well put together...

- georgestrings

14. Truss rod on the warwicks are quite tricky to use. But take your time, like others have said, there are so many set up options on a warwick, I'd be very surprised you couldn't set it up right without rattle.

15. bassnj

bassnj

Sep 16, 2011
    +1000

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I don't know if I agree with that - most of the Rockbasses I've checked out have been pretty craptacular - about on par with Spector's Performer series...

- georgestrings

17. I had quality issues with my 2006 Thumb. The electronics were wired backwards so the battery was constantly draining. Great tone, but very frustrating trying diagnosis the problem.

18. osuok88

osuok88 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX - USA
    get the Thumb NT and you will have no complain

19. A buddy of mine brought me his 5 string Rock Bass... he was completely unhappy with it's set up. I worked on that thing for quite a number of days, trying as I might, to get the truss rod to do it's thing... eventually, I ended up removing the strings, with the truss rod fully engaged, in an effort to get that neck to pull back outta forward bow.
    I finally got it into what I would call, just barely passable relief, by forcing the neck into back bow, locking the truss and then tightening the rod.
    Still, no where near what he wanted from a relief perspective, but much better than what it was.
    I personally would not be looking to purchase that model of bass.
    Fishheadjoe

20. Replacement Rockbass has arrived, and is perfect. No fret buzzing and feels great to play :D