1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

disconnect speakers;

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by circuito, Jun 4, 2011.

1. circuito

circuito

Sep 13, 2008
    Hi,
    disconnect the speakers from an amp at transistor while is turned on can cause damage, thank you very much.

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Is that a question?

3. circuito

circuito

Sep 13, 2008
    Yes;)

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    With solid state heads it's not so much of an issue as it could be for a tube amp. Bad things can happen to a tube amp if it's running without a speaker cab for an extended enough period of time. I'll leave it to the amp gurus here at TB to explain things better.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It can if the cable uses a 1/4" connectors, which can short-circuit the amp when inserted or removed. This is one reason why 1/4" connectors are a poor choice for speaker connections. Speakons do not have this problem.

6. HI.

First of all, the translating programs do not work very well if the language group isn't the same ;).

That said, most of the SS amps can stand open connection, even when the amplifier is working, it's a dead short SS amps won't handle well or at all.

I wouldn't disconnect the speakers if there was any signal present, no benefit on doing so, and there's always the possibility of frying the output devices if there's no protective circuits or those circuits don't have enough time to react.

On a tube amp, an open connection can damage the amp in a matter of seconds, hence the "better to have at least 2 speakers, and to have them wired in parallell" rule with tube amps.

Regards
    Sam

7. Hi Sam :)

Y'know, if only people would fill out their profiles it would be so much easier on everyone. Folk would know that perhaps the english used is coming from a person of a differing primary language and make allowances.

8. Yah! Dem Canadians is da worst peoples trying understand is.

But it would really be nice for everyone to put their City-State-Country under the avatar.

9. 4stringjim

4stringjim Commercial User

Apr 16, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Senior Engineer, Fishman Transducers
    Generally speaking, solid state amps can tolerate an open circuit (no speaker connected) better than a short. A short circuit will cause the output devices to "over-current" which can let the smoke out (destroy's them in the blink of an eye!). This, however, is strictly dependent on the design.

Tube amps, again generally speaking, tolerate a short better then an open. This is because the output transformer can arc and be damaged when presented with an open circuit. For this reason some designers use either shorting speaker jack arrangements or "flyback" diodes to "save" the output transformer when no speaker is connected.

Designers of solid state power amplifiers can also employ current limiting circuitry to prevent a short circuit from damaging the output devices. Of course, it depends on who designed the amplifier and their design philosophy as to whether this type of protection has been incorporated.

At the end of the day, I always suggest contacting the manufacturer's customer service to find out what is and what is not safe to do.

10. Hi.

Hi Paul, how's the summer treating You?

I do fully agree with Your comment. I even started a thread about it a few years back. On that thread and many others like it, the "consensus" (among the ones who didn't have their location in their profile ;)) seemed to be that even a country/state/province would expose them needlessly???

Regards
    Sam

11. Expose them? To what? :)

12. I bet he meant that some countries forbid their citizens from posting on Bass Player's sites. Just associating with a bass player can get you thrown in a mental rehab prison and your first born child hauled off to a labor and re-education camp.

13. :-D

14. A very good point. But it could be that what hampers someone's expression in English also hampers their ability to fill out the profile.

15. Even a cryptic entry of where they are can help immeasurably so we can at least know that a language barrier exists and we can make allowances.

Otherwise - I just usually think someone is uneducated or typing with their thumbs on some gaming system they keep in their pocket.

Un- or Under-educated persons can be helped - not too sure of the gamers though. :bag:

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Actually many United Staters have difficulty with the dominant language spoken here. Some don't speak it well, more don't read or write it well.

The comments about foreign government's concern about free reading should be taken seriously. Let's respect that. What we don't know can hurt them.

17. Posting a country or state in their avatar box isn't gonna get them in trouble if their government wants to find them.

It's the IP address that counts.

18. Hi.

OP, I do apologize for the derail, but...

Theft, harassment, ..., gig offers ;).

:D

I'm not a nerd, at least I don't consider being one, but that's most probably the quickest way to get anyones information nowadays if one's good enough. Only on the mobile networks it will take a bit more work, might even be impossible without the aid of the ISP. Finding out the country and/or the ISP should be easy enough from the IP alone though.

Regards
    Sam