1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Displaying your bass issues.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robbotbass, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I've gotten mixed feedback from lots of people about hanging guitars up in their home. I've heard it's not good for them that it can mess with intonation and warp the neck. I live in A very dry state and heard the best place for a bass is in it's case.

My question is can you display your bass like a music store would just out with no climate control or do you prefer to keep your bass in a case? or would you invest in a humidifier? just looking for some feed back from my TB friends.

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I keep my basses outside their cases, havent notice any damage, just the usual set up in winter and summer.

3. fep

fep

Oct 5, 2011
    San Diego
    I left a guitar in a case for about a year without opening it.

I opened it and what was a beautiful ibanez electric guitar became a corroded and rusty mess. All the strings had broke from rust, the frets where funky, rust on the bridge pu, electronics screwed up...

It seems moisture got sealed in that case.

That seems to be a weird example.

Other than that, I have about 12 guitars and bass guitars. Six on the walls six in cases. I haven't had any problems either way. I'm old (53), I've had some of my guitars for about 40 years. I'm in San Diego about 4 miles from the ocean now, the climate is pretty mild.

4. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Guitars / Basses like it just about the same as we humans:
    Temps between 70 and 75 degrees
    Humidity between 61-65
    The closer you can get them to those constants, the less issues you will have. How and where you store them is a personal matter...I like my 75 P bass in my gun locker right next to my AR15. Both ready to go at a moments notice.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I live in the high desert. Hot in Summer, cold in Winter. Low humidity.
    Most of my instruments are on wall hangers. Have been for several years.
    Not one problem with any of them.

6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    I use air conditioning in the summer and humidifcation in the winter, keeping things around 45-50% humidity most all the time. Air filter on 80% of the time, door closed.

I've got several basses on hangers, and no neck issues at all. You will need to make sure that the hooks are screwed in tight and angled properly to accomodate headstock geometry so that the bass hangs perpendicular to the floor. Also, some rubber coated hangers can off-gas and cause finish problems. I heated mine with my wife's blow dryer for about 15 minutes each and cut the fingers of some disposable cloth gloves and fitted these over the hanger prongs. No problems in two years!

7. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I've never noticed a problem with any of mine, but out of paranoia I do keep my hollow body in its case

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    You need climate control for best conditions for both your instruments and yourself. I dont like the hang em on wall hangers simply cause if one falls, well, that can be problem. Plus that just takes up wall space as though they are decorations rather then music instruments to be played. I keep mine on nice regular floor stand when not in gigback or case. And of course have climate control for both them and myself. Lol.

9. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    +1

All my basses are in their respective gig bags - in my bedroom, ready to go. Wish I could say the same for my GF...:rolleyes:

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I find that the strings go dead faster when left out on hangers.
    Aside from that, no other issues.

11. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Ahh.. spoken like a true Upstater. :D

12. I live in the high plains as well where it's pretty dry and cold. My question is do you run a swamp cooler in the summer? if yes does the change in humidity caused any problems for you?

13. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    For the moment my basses are on stands. I would buy wall hangers but I always forget to buy them....plus I'm working on designing an "earthquake-proof" locking wall hanger.

14. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    I live in Pa. and have used wall hangers for years. At first self made wall hangers then bought Hercules wall hangers.They lock down with the weight of a guitar or bass.NO problems at all.Acoustic basses or guitars would probably need special attention, as they are best in a case with a humidifier etc. I did at one time have a music room in my basement so I ran a dehumidifier in the summer and kept it at 65 %.I also kept the temp at about 65 in the winter and 72 in the summer.

15. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Hanging your bass may actually help keep the neck straighter than horizontal storage. And remember, almost all music stores use this method... for months on end... and none seem to be abandoning this model.

16. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Hangers & stands here. the only time my basses see a case is if they are going out to play!

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Texas dust and string death makes mine stay in cases although I do keep humidity 45~55% most all of the time. My acoustic bass guitar is the exception but the strings get "funked" after a couple of weeks....