Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dist for Metal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Depends on the Situation/Vibe

86 vote(s)
    58.1%
  1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    (I'm really going for the polls right now :D )

Just as I stated in the other poll I created not 10 mins ago, I've been listening to a lot of my metal albums, and have been really listening to the bass tones. One thing I've noticed is a severe lack of distortion in a lot of them. Even in my tweeking of the PDDI I recently got (f***in' love it!), I'm alway drawn back to the same "dark, morbid groan" (written out as "Death" ;) ). The same groan that a lot of my albums seem to have!

Now, don't get me wrong, I love od/dist. I even have one "preset" written out (called "War" ;) ) that is a mean low mid growl. But it just doesn't seem to have the same effect on me as "Death" (which is also the name of my bass btw, cus of it's natural, though "hollow", groan).

My question(s) to all of you: Is there a place in metal for bass distortion? Is it really needed? Do any of you use od/dist on a regular bassis in a metal context?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    There is a place for distortion in metal, yes. That place is called "not all the time."

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Egads man.

Fear Factory, Ozzy, Sabbath, Metalica, Tool and this is just to name a few. I have 3 different distortion/OD's/Fuzzes on my pedalboard alone to cover it all.

Really. Think about it. :rollno:

4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yes it's required for black metal. Although I see a Dimmu quote in your sig, so you've probably never heard any :ninja:

5. Uncle_Sam

Uncle_Sam

Jan 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    shoot haha i didnt see the last one that said depends on the vibe...so change my yes to that one. thats a big oopsys :rollno:

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    "Depends on the Vibe" seems to be very popular :D :bassist: I may have to rethink things...

Right now I have the ParaDriver for some serious OD, and an English Muff'n for Fuzz. I am thinking of the Fulltone BD, maybe going for some regular (USA) muff action, and I'm really GASing for the MXR Blowtorch. Any other suggestions (including "toss [...] off your list")?

BTW, I love Dimmu, but only the earlier stuff. Not the "extreem keyboard" style they've become :rollno: :scowl: :bawl:

7. nothing required in black metal..except coarpse paint, although its used in like 99.9% of it lol. black metals awesome.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Most of the stuff I listen to has overdriven and distorted bass tones.

9. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
  10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Duh. I know he uses fuzz on "pulling teeth" but does he use it all the time? (haven't listend to metallica in a long time...)

Oh and the Tech 21 XXL Bass Ed. is now on the list just above the MXR (cus it's not out yet), and the Fulltone BD (just not sure...). The regular muff pi is on the bottom cus I already have the English Muff'n...

I may end up creating a really big board :eek:

11. I hate distorted bass. Anyone ever play Anesthesia CLEAN? It sounds so much better IMO.

12. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    He used it alot, another classic example is For Whom the Bell Tolls, hes also got some crazy stuff with that sound in Call of Kutulu.

Of course when using distortion effectivly you have to remember that its not only whether the song calls for it, but that you have the skill to pull it off properly as well.

13. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL

But it doesn't sound RIGHT. I played it clean for years and I admit I got a little chill after playing it through my full distortion setup with the appropriate wah and all that fun stuff.

I should also note that, that song is the reason I can PLAY bass. As in I had owned a bass before hearing that song, but I never realized I could be awesome on it before that song.

14. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Hao Rust Ride, supposed to sound like an overdriven Marshall plexi. I think it does a fine job, really good for that Lemmy tone.
    I bought it because I was trying to emulate Troy Sanders and he used this boutique "blue beard" pedal and I found it after I was debating between the Rust Ride and something else, as soon as I found out it tried to emulate Marshalls I was there. The only draw back is it really only has one setting, you can kind of adjust the Q, but you have no control over blend... I suppose I should run it through my FX loop rather than direct.

15. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    None of the metal musicians I look up to use it, and neither do I. Not to say it doesn't have it's place, but it is far from necessary for metal.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It can be interesting but most of the time you want a clean, massive, bright tone to get through walls of Marshall tubes.

17. listen to mayhem, either deathcrush or live in leipzig. granted the bass is totally drowned out by euronymous's guitar, but when you can hear it.... now there's a great distorted bass sound, especially on chainsaw guts..etc..

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Michael McKeegan from Therapy? has an awesome distorted tone, very low, thick and growly, all dedicated to the band. It makes them sound huge.

19. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I love that Meshuggah/Hypocrisy/Dismember/Grave(RIP)/Entombed(their older stuff) tone. Plus, if you really pay attention to the older Cliff Burton stuff, most of the songs have 2 bass tracks. One clean/one distorted. Orion is a great example. Plus, the very beginning of Damage Incorporated uses guitars and bass distorted with volume swells.

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Of course, there are so many different kinds of metal, too. When I listen to "classic" metal such as Judas Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden, etc., I am always surprised by how clean and hi-fi the bass tone is! It really seems to work best to support and contrast with all of those power chords and screaming.