Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distorting certain frequencies.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seiji, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Hi guys, I was wondering if there was any way I could distort only my low end, and keep my treble intact (or vice versa). Is there any pedal that allows you to select the frequency to which the distortion is applied?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The only way I can think of is to do something like the Chapman Stick does and have a pickup with one output for your bass strings and a pickup with one output for your treble strings so you run them stereo.

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    The BOSS ME-50b has a setting for this.

Also, Tym Guitars makes a bass effect called "The Big Bottom" that splits the low/high frequencies, the higher frequencies go through an effects loop (that could include distortion). The two signals are rejoined for the output from the unit.

http://www.tymguitars.com.au

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    There's this Craig Anderton circuit called a quadrafuzz that spilts the signal into four bands and fuzzes them separately. I don't know if you can tune the bands or not.

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    There are several ways this can be done.. I have a feeling that this was raised some time ago. The first way would be to use an Akai G-Drive: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7353953247&category=22669 . This should get you pretty close.

Another way would involve the use of a cross-over of some kind.

Also, the Me-50b has a high band drive that distorts only the treble, leaving the bottom end in tact.

There are probably other ways too!

6. Could you explain the cross-over method to me?

Also, maybe I could try messing around with the UniBoss method.

7. doesn't the Jacques fuseblower do this?
    http://www.ts808.com/

i thought i read that fuse 1, 2, and 3 was distortion for low mid and high? i could be wrong though...

otherwise there is always the john entwhistle way and biamp, amd distort the highs that way

8. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The Sansamp PSA (1.1) does this: the Punch, Buzz.... knobs distort the lows, mids or highs.

9. http://www.rolls.com/new/sx21.html
    It's designed for speaker systems, but works well with my bass, too.

~ Charlie

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Exactly. Biamping all the way.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Very easy to do, in fact many fuzz pedals do this behind your back.

You probably only want to distort the high end. The simplest method is to have a high pass filter before the distortion and then blend in the clean to get back the lows.

The easiest way to distort only the high end is to build or buy a blender and then put a guitar distortion in the loop :D

12. Hmmm, that could be what I'm looking for. And it's only 65 bucks.

Stupid question: But if I have two outputs, how do I join them together before my amp?

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Or the subdecy liquid sunshine does this in a single pedal :)

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh yeah. I originally put the distortion on the HIGH-end with that, though. Never tried it the other way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Also, don't forget, the 'GK method'. The built-in G.I.V.E. (Gate Induced Valve Effect) distortion on my 700RBII is only on the LOW-side of the 5KHz crossover/amp. If you use their special bi-amping, and their onboard distortion, you can boost the 'boost' knob all you want (and I'm sayin' this thing'll go into fullscreaming, singing distortion!), and those sparkly-highs stay crystal-clear.

Joe

15. Alas, google yields no information on that particular pedal.

But, thanks for all your replies! I think I've got enough ideas to find the sound I'm looking for. Now to scrape some funds together...

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ah, sorry. You're right

17. moosapotamus' bass paralooper to the rescue AGAIN! Use any damn disto pedal you want and keep the bass frequencies clean.