1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 5StringWolf, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 5StringWolf

5StringWolf

Jan 16, 2011
  2. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    For Metallica, you want fuzz and a wah pedal. Before we get any more specific, what kind of bass do you have?

3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Burton used an EHX Big Muff (the variation escapes me ATM...) and I believe a Morley Power Wah for most of his stuff.

4. I thought if heard he used a Rat, that may've just been on Kill 'Em All or something, though

5. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    It's all fuzz though

6. Dick Tree

Dick Tree

May 26, 2011
    Normal, IL
    Pretty sure that Burton used the Green Russian Muff

7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Cliff Burton died in 1986, the Green Russians went into production in 1994. I'd be willing to bet the Burton Muff is either a "Violet Ram's Head" or "Op-Amp".

Not to start an argument, just sayin'.

8. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    276255_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Obama-Not-Bad_1920x1200.

9. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Probably any Big Muff type fuzz will work for any of those vids. Though I think Cliff just used his overdrive channel for live stuff, he definitely used a Muff for the studio version of Pulling Teeth.

My recommendation, Russian Big Muff. The American NYC eats up alot of low end and the Bass Big Muff just underwhelms. Plus the Russian just sounds aggressive as hell...

10. Indeed. I really don't get where that "Cliff played a Russian muff" thing came from.

Anyways. I could have sworn I've seen a picture of Cliff on stage with a Big Muff that had the standard red and black artwork, which would rule out the Ram's Head. But there was a standard red & black big muff that was out in the late 70s/early 80s that was a transistor-based circuit, as well as the op-amp one. It could be either one of those.

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Id vote for a way huge swollen pickle. I know he used a muff but the pickle can sound similar to a muff but hold way more low end in your tone. So you would sound better with a swollen pickle. I used russian big muffs in my band for the past year till I got a pickle. I have never been happier with my bass sound then I am now.

12. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    Not on an active bass my friend

13. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Not to open a whole can of worms, but by using the right tools an active hating fuzz can be tamed: a variable resistor or a decent buffer in front works a treat.