Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distributor? hooking up multiple preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Nov 3, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    In my head,this is a very simple device. I just don't know what it may exactly be called.

I found Radial JD7 injector on Magician's friend....but that's $900...and thats...yeah

I'm looking for a product that could take the signals from multiple preamps into one power amp.

The idea in my head is to use a loooper to switch between separate pre's and have signals from all of them running into 1 poweramp via 1 connecting device.

This Question Brought to you by...GaS

2. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
  3. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I was wondering if he could custome build what I needed

When time comes I'll have to check with him

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That would be a "mixer". :cool:

The Mackie 1202VLZ or VLZ Pro work really well for this, I've been using mine for years that way. They're coming down in price radically on the used market these days, shouldn't run over $125 or so from what I'm seeing.

5. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah...I didn't really wanna drag around a mixer with me though.

If I could find a small rackmount on....behringer kinda has one...but I don't htink I"d be willing to even try it...it's looks a lil off

I'm not thinking of something that would ahve to control the levels, unless it were rackmountable, and just leave the levels to the preamps

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What about a Looper on the front end (bass to preamps) and a Raven Labs MDB-1 going from the preamps to the amp?

Tom.

7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Now that looks like the ticket.

8. Passinwind

Well, that's what the device you need is called. ;)

If I could find a small rackmount on....behringer kinda has one...but I don't htink I"d be willing to even try it...it's looks a lil off

Here's a thread with a bunch of other options for 1-2 space rack mixers: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210178

I'm not thinking of something that would have to control the levels, unless it were rackmountable, and just leave the levels to the preamps

Keeping it simple is nice, but it'll work much better if you can separately control send levels to each preamp, and return levels back at the mixer. Then you also can play through more than one preamp at a time a bit more gracefully (if you want to). I do this kind of stuff a lot, but YMMV of course.

BTW, little boards like the Mackie can be top-mounted into a rack, which is pretty slick if you have a stupid-complicated rig like I often do. I play guitar and guitar synth at times in one of my acts, and also do processed vocals on stage besides playing fuzz slide bass, regular fretless, and probably now my EUB as well. Most of this is in stereo too...yeesh! I think I'm gonna have to use my 20 channel mixer on stage when I go back to gigging that act. :rolleyes:

Have fun, and don't follow my example if you can help it. :bassist:

9. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Does anyone actually have one of their products? I recall this being brought up before, and their gear seems spot on and top quality. But a little real world feedback is always nice.

Tom.

11. Passinwind

Ask Eric Clapton or Peter Frampton. :cool:

I've worked on a few high end guitar rigs over the years that had the CAE/Bradshaw switchers. If there's anything appreciably better out there, or more expensive (!), it's escaped my attention thus far. I roll my own though, so my attention span's nothing to write home about.

12. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    They do a lot of stuff for touring artists. I know Dirk Lance of Incubus used a CAE controller for all his effects, and Eddie Van Halen uses them also. They are the top of the line for amp switching and things of the sort, but they are expensive. :meh:

13. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    You want a rack mount line mixer. Rane does one with 6 or 8 inputs and stereo output, one global output volume in a 1 unit rack. There's bound to be others, maybe do a search at hugeracks.com. Maybe there's a Behringer knockoff!