Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIY - cab materials

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In terms of light weight, 2x12 or 1/15 cabinet construction, what is the recommended material ? This material would be coming from a specialty wood supplier so Marine and BB are available. I'm thinking 9mm BB using front to back bracing. Are there better choices ? I'm not necessarily thinking low cost in this particular case ...

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Even with extensive bracing 9mm won't cut it, 12mm is the minimum. Don't waste money on marine unless you plan on sailing in your cab or you live in Venice or New Orleans.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    and 12 mm is like 1/2 inch. that is what I was actually thing (about 1/2 inch) and the wrote 9 mm ... duh. Glad I didn't do that a Crosscuts, it's about an hour 1 way ...

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I used 3/4" on mine...and my speaker baffle board is 1 1/4" thick.

Don't skimp too much unless you plan on doing some heavy duty bracing. Remember that your cab is going be taking on a lot of vibration. I mean A LOT.

Biggest thing is to get void free. If there are any areas that have knots, or spaces, it will have an adverse affect on the overall quality of the sound.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I use half-inch almost exclusively and it's just fine when you properly brace it, like this. It's more work than just using 3/4 but the result is lighter and stronger.
    [​IMG]

6. im using 3/4 currently with some 1"x2" pine for bracing

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah...if you go lighter than 3/4" you will need more bracing.

I used 3/4" and still braced it. My 210 cab is solid as a rock, but still quite light.