1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY Speaker Stand Adapter for Acoustic Image Amps

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Jan 18, 2018.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ Emeritus (Certified Gear Junkie) Retired??? Supporting Member

If you're like me in that you like to get your speaker up on a tripod so it's closer to your ears, but you have an Acoustic Image amp or cab with the downfiring speaker, this little DIY project may be for you.

I made a simple 'proof of concept' model and sent a picture of it to Rick Jones (of Acousic Image). He recommed making the 'reflector' about 2 inches from the plane of the feet of the cab and this is what I've come up with.

For tools, all you need is an electric drill and bits, a sabre saw, and an allen wrench to fit the new screws (if the ones you get also are hex-head).

Materials include:

a board 1 foot wider or a little more. Could be plywood, or shelving material like I used.

A 'high-hat' cup to attach to the speaker stand (One Penn Elcom M1551 Steel Pole Mount W/ Mount Hardware - Stand Cup -Top Hat | eBay

4 inch long screws (Metric M4-70x100mm) verify that the screws on the bottom of your amp/cab are this same size. I took out one of the foot screws and took it to Home Depot to check the size and thread type.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQHCKYL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 1 inch wood dowel, cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces and with a hole drilled through the middle. You could substitue 1 inch OD copper or PVC tubing. The 1 inch fits inside the little 'cup' that is molded into the bottom of the cab with the rubber feet fit into. You'll remove these feet and re-use them on the bottom of the reflector.

Here's how it looks:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Pics, man. Pics!

james condino likes this.
  3. rickwolff

Come back and check out the video, Adam.

4. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Well done! When it snows in Raleigh...

5. BB-9E? Is that you?

6. MDrost1

MDrost1 Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. rickwolff

No, this is still 'old school'. It's just R2D2.

8. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Rick,

How’s it working out on the gig? Do you feel you receive good bass response from the amp still?

I built one similar to yours this weekend. Waiting on the pole mount. I’ll post pics when I finish.

9. rickwolff

Michael, I haven't actually had it out to a gig yet since I've been using my new 'Genzlihur' amp with the two channels and phantom power. Last night I used it both for my bass and to power the AKG C411 which I sold to the piano player and he puts it on the sound board of the piano. It works great for that.

I'll let you know after I have it on a gig, but for now here's a little video I just did with it in the studio and I think it sounds great. Surprisingly, this is with a piezo - the KNA DB-1. I've got some fairly heavy EQ going - mostly boosting bass and cutting mids a lot, but it seems to work.

MDrost1 likes this.
  10. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Here is my attempt to float/reflect the Acoustic Image amp. A "Refloater" if you will. I liked Rick's idea very much.

I used 3/4" ply wood and 1" oak dowels. I used a forrestner bit to route out seats for the dowels and glued them in. I ended up using 90mm bolts to attach it through the legs. I attaches the feet to the bottom of the Refloater not with the 90mm attachement bolts. I used washers to give it a bit more strength. I also put 1" rubber washers between the Refloater and the cabinet to dampen any vibrations. Who knows if they will really do anything. It comes off in one piece as seen in the pics.

My steady Tuesday night gig is on a plywood stage that couples very badly. I love my Upshot, and use it. However, given the dimensions of the room and poor stage construction, this might be the answer for me! I plan to try it out tomrrow night.

IMG_1709.JPG IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1713.JPG

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  11. rickwolff

Wow! That looks great. Is that a drill press I see in the background? I had to do mine with cheap hand-held tools so it's not nearly as pro-looking as yours.

If you are so inclined - there could be a small market for those - if you were to bang out a half dozen of them or so you could maybe make a few bucks.

Nice work.

Edit: REALLY NICE WORK.

You should definately forward this to Rick Jones at Acoustic Image in case he hasn't already seen this post.

MDrost1 likes this.
  12. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Rick,

Ha! Thanks for the kind words. Thank you for the great idea. I love AI gear and am always looking for ways to make my setup simple, and efficient.

Yup, I do have a small work shop in the house, with a drill press.

I will pass it on to Rick. We will see about making up some extras....I'd have to figure out some jigs to make it easier(less haphazard as I am inclined to be).

13. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    One other cool thing....

It all fits in my AI Ten2 gig bag. Purchase at Gollihur. I use to own a Ten2. However, I carry all my cabs, amps and accessories in this bag to my gigs. One load!

rickwolff likes this.
  14. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    So I have had my "reflector/elevation tool device thingy" on a few gigs in problematic rooms. Plywood stage know for coupling etc. It's great. I put my amp a little below ear level. Using my Ischell pickup, it sounds great to me. Definitely a keeper situation for me. My nephew who is into machining and I are redesigning it for easy installation, less parts, and attempting to bring the reflector closer to the down firing 10" speaker. It's going to be very cool....

15. rickwolff

Fabulous! Besides experimenting with different distances to the reflector I'd suggest you chat with Rick Jones at acoustic image. Great guy to talk to.

MDrost1 likes this.
  16. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Rick,

I have communicated with Rick. I actually made his acquaintance at ISB. He is in it to win it for sure. Nice guy with a great company.

The only thing he suggested was, if more bass response is needed, move the reflector closer to the cab. Honestly, I have more than enough bass response than I need right now. However, in the interest of lessening the footprint, simplifying the design, and make the concept more efficient we are going to attempt one more version.

17. rickwolff

When you go into production I'd like to be your first customer. I'll recycle my 'grade school project's as firewood. Lol

MDrost1 likes this.