1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIYing a BR2 if I can, but kinda stuck

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ireidt, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Okay, I am planning on building a tonebender Fuzz in about a month, just gotta find parts and order it. The next pedal I really want to try to make is the Guyatone Br 2 bottom wah rocker ( yes I am a tool fan, can ya tell? :p )

Anyway, I have been looking for PCB layouts or schematics or anything I can find on this pedal, and I can't find anything on it.

Has anyone on talkbass tried to build this pedal?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's one for sale in the TB classifieds. You could buy it, trace the circuit, build the clone, and re-sell the original.

3. It's based on the Mutron circuit.

4. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    thanks to both of you!

5. astralis

astralis

Dec 31, 2006
    Fort Myers, FL
    The BR2 blows, imo. So many people clone the Chancellor board... sigh. Make it unique man!!!! ESPECIALLY if you're doing it the DIY way. Then send Justin a letter telling him he's doing it all wrong =].

Try this;
    go to www.diystompboxes.com and search 'meatwad'.
    It's basically a clone of the Meatball, an extremely versatile filter circuit. It can do everything you can imagine and sooo much more!!!

If you want to keep it a little more simple for now then move on to a meatwad later on. Check out the Neutron, it's a clone of the Mutron III. I have also built this pedal and I really liked it.

p.s. Chancellor IS right about the Colorsound Tonebender though... my oh my thats a wonderful effect.

6. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Astralis, I know what you mean, not really trying to clone his sound, I just like the effects lol. I was thinking actually changing the Digitech bass whammy that I wanted to a HOG for it has more weird features :p

yea I am a member of diystompboxes. What I like what Justin does though, its how he chains the BR2 in front of the Tonebender fuzz and gets that neat synth-fuzz sound.

I'll still check out the meatwad and Neutron though, might be fun to build anyway :D

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's actually based on the Micro-V, not the Mutron III :)

EDIT: To the OP, if you need any help shoot me a PM and I'll help you with what you need to know.

8. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks Toasted! I'll send ya a PM when I am ready to try this out, got a Tonebender fuzz to build first.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Good. Why dont you buy a bunch of different parts and play around with them in different positions? See if you can make it sound better. Hot tip: pay special attention to the input and output caps.

FAKEDIT: That's talking about the Tonebender not the Mutron Micro V.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    well, Guyatone bills the BR-2 as a variant of the WR-2 with some different parts and voicing.... so perhaps crack one of those open as a starting point?

11. astralis

astralis

Dec 31, 2006
    Fort Myers, FL
    You can still do that funky signal path routing with any filter you choose. Actually, the meatwad is extremely flexible and has its own effects loop (very cool).
    Truthfully though, after endless tweaking of my own... I ended up setting it up to sound so similar to the Mutron III that I just use that now. Thats probably because I use it very sparingly though, so it may be very different for you =].

Also, if it would interest you... I could record some clips with my 3-knob tonebender. It has a GE tranny package from small bear. I so very highly recommend you get the GE tranny set for this pedal... its exactly what makes this circuit so amazing.

12. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida