Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DL4=Octave?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well our rhythm guitarist is out of the band, and I need to open up a bit, so i'm looking into an octave pedal. I was looking at the DL4 too for delay (duh) and I was wondering if the DL4 has an octave effect.

Thank you! :smug:

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    No it doesn't

Best tracking octave pedal I've been told about is the digitech bass synth wah

Hope this helps

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for such a quick reply! I guess i'll get the Whammy first, and then get a DL4 later.

What does the Tap Tempo thing do on the DL4?

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    You set the delay time by "tapping" on the tap tempo button. Less time between foot taps = faster delay. More time = great delay.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So basically you control without having to take your hand off of your bass and screw with a knob?

6. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Correct. It makes it much easier to adjust your delay time "on the fly" utilizing the tap tempo.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Totally random, but I'll feel retarded if I were to start a new thread.

The whammy and the DL4 are basically the same price, so which would you get first?

8. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd get the DL4.

Not only do you have all the neat-o delay models but you get a pretty nice phrase sampler to boot. To me the whammy is more of a novelty item although the bass player in this band makes incredible use of a whammy.

Good luck.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I 2nd the DL4 first it is far more useful, if your not fussed about having patches to save settings to may I suggest the Line 6 Echo Park work very similarly to the DL4, only in a single stomp box setup, but it doesn't loop but I don't know if that is an issue for you. They are also about half the price of the DL4 so might push you towards that whammy a bit quicker.

10. When would you use a delay on bass? I had one on a board I was putting together, but quickly took it off as I found no need at all for it.

With that said, I use delay for leads all the time when I'm playing lead guitar.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well I have two delays on my board so it depends but the dl4 and the echopark do much much more than just delay.

Echo, reverse, auto swell, ping pong, sweep and ducking just to name a few