1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Ampeg and Hartke play well together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nimiety, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Nimiety

Nimiety

Jul 18, 2008
    Hi y'all - 1st time poster, long time reader. (Had to be said.)

I have been playing for around 20 years (oh God I'm old), but I've been a little out of touch for the past 5-10 years+ due to moving, getting married, and having a few offspring, but I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. What I've noticed is that I've gotten really out of touch with what's good, what's not, and what works.

I'd sold my Trace Elliot head, my Peavey Mark IV and 2x15, etc a long time ago, and I've just picked up an Ampeg SVT III Pro to start things off again. (I got outbid on a Trace GP12 SMX preamp which would have been my initial first choice because of the built in crossover and compression, but I think the tone of the Ampeg will be superior). I think it will have a good sound for my taste, and the reviews here and elsewhere are obviously positive, but I'm a little stuck on the cabinets.

I've placed an order at my local music store (Steve's Music in Ottawa) for a set of Hartke 115XL and 410XL - back in the day, they had a strong punchy bright tone which I think I would like, and I think it could work well with the smoothness of the SVT. Plus, they won't break my back moving them around - I know the Ampeg 810 is an awesome wall of sound, but even on sale it may be a few hundred more then the Hartkes, and at 165 pounds.... I don't know.

All of this is being played by an older Ibanez Roadstar series II - good enough for me for the past while. :)

First question: has anyone used this combination together (Ampeg SVT 3 Pro + 115XL + 410XL, or even just Ampeg and Hartke)? Did they work well together?

Second question: at 200W and 400W @ 8 ohms respectively - will that satisfy the loading of the amp well? It totals 600W @4o, but I'm pretty sure the math won't work that way, and that the amp will try to push both cabinets evenly, right?

Thanks for your input!
    N....

2. I am not to sure about how the amp will deliver its power to those cabs, but I don't think you'll have a real problem.
    I play on a warwick quad IV with about the same specs as an ampeg svt-3pro -made by the germans to counter the onmarch off ampeg - AND I plug it in 2 Hartke 410XL's (so I sure my power gets an even distribution). I can assure you that it really sounds killer :D
    I first played on a VX 410 (also Hartke) but wasn't to happy with the sound. Now that I have those 2 sweet babies I can rock anyplace you like as long it is not a stadium.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've used a 3 Pro with Hartke speakers before (rented backline). It works well if you like Hartkes. I'm not a fan, but many people are, and they work as well as any other cabs.

4. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Your story sounds almost exactly like mine! 21 years playing and just got back into it late last year. Just a few days ago I picked up an Ampeg SVT-III to replace my Hartke HA2500 amp. I have an Hartke VX 410 and (for now) it sounds pretty good. I have a Geddy jazz so the sound can get a little "bright" but nothing I cant EQ out.

I will eventually be getting an Ampeg cabinet, the SVT-410HE. When I bought this amp the other day, I met the guy at a Guitar Center and we plugged it into an Ampeg cabinet and holy $***! It sounded so good! I was getting compliments on the sound. When I got it home and hooked it up to my Hartke, it still sounded good, but not quite the sound I got at GC.

5. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Another bassist & I combined gear for a show and the stack consisted of my Ampeg 410HE with his Hartke 410XL on top, both driven by my Ampeg SVT-IIIPro (with BlueTube & Trace comp pedals in front). Together they sounded really, really good. Maybe it was the phase of the moon or the shape of the room, but it had a tight, rumbling low end with a wicked grinding top end. It sounded not unlike my CR500 blasting through mud. I really was pleased that night.

6. BTD

BTD

Mar 10, 2008
    My story is similar....I've been "unretired" for about two years now. As far as Hartke goes...

First band I got into when I started back up, I used a borrowed GK701 thru a Hartke XL410 and a Hartke VX115 - the 4 10's were toast in a matter of weeks. When we dumped the AH guitarist whose cabinet is was, I bought used hartke - a XL115 and a VX210 (got them cheap, which was a requirement) and guess what - the 2 10's were toast in no time. (Using a Yamaha PB-1 and a Yamaha CX2000 amp - but not cranked by any means, I'm more for tone than volume and like the bi-amp setup.)

When I first bought the 210 cabinet I took it in to a reputable tech shop - before it was blown, just needed a jack and I suck with a soldering gun - and he told me I'd be back for speakers in no time. He told me if I looked up Hartke in a dictionary the definition would be "landfill"! He is right! I plan on putting Eminence Legends or something similar into the box and should be fine until the 115 dies - which I'm sure will be soon.

7. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ive said it before, back when I was playing heavily (early mid 90's) Hartke was all the rage. I wanted one back then so bad but didnt have the money. Now after I got back into it and came on here, I was surprised to see how much bashing Hartke gets (not saying its not deserved, just a shock). I only bought this recent Hartke gear because it sounded decent and was cheap enough to get back into the game.

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I had an SVT Pro 3 that I used over the years with an SWR Goliath JR 2x10 and the equal SWR 115, a Hartke 410 with aluminum cone speakers and an Ampeg PR410. The Ampeg cab was heavy but sounded the best, the SWR second and the Hartke far at the bottom. I like a smooth round full sound and to me the Hartke was a little "clanky" sounding. Just IMO.

9. Very similar with me played all through the 80's- mid 90's, long lay off other then lending a hand doing bass tracks on a few recordings.:bassist:
    I used to own A SVT III pro us model and really enjoyed that head decent preamp fairly warm tube tone. long gone now.:crying:

Getting back in the game and on a budget I got a B2re did not care for it but still have it, then picked up a Hartke Ha 5500 and I am pretty happy has only one tube pre, not as warm as the SVT III pro, but decent and gobs of power so I got a Sans amp BDDI to get a little more tube tone now my tone is even better.:D

For cabs I myself never cared for the Hartke aluminum cones to bright sounding for me so I tried the VX paper cones liked them better, but no horn adjustment, so I ended up with Avatar pretty happy good bang for buck but don't like the tweets so I disconnected them. I may do the 6" mid mod on them.

All that said you have to go after the best tone you can get, but can realistically afford and work with it and upgrade from there if you have a budget like most of us.:cool:

10. Nimiety

Nimiety

Jul 18, 2008
    Awesome input - thanks folks!

I checked on my order and it looks like it's been delayed, so I'll be switching to the big one: the Ampeg 810 - they have 8 in stock right now, so that'll be easy. :) I even got "approval" (technically it was an "abstaining") from the wife... ha!

Thanks all!
    N.....

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Hope you don't have to carry it up or down any stairs, it doesn't sound like she'd help.

12. Nimiety

Nimiety

Jul 18, 2008
    Especially not when she's 5 months pregnant!!! :)

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I saw a guy here on the Cape last fall playing an Ampeg solid state head thru a Hartke 4X10 cab- he was using a Paul McCartney type hofner bass, with flatwound strings. I thought it sounded quite nice.

14. Nimiety

Nimiety

Jul 18, 2008
    Well, I just picked up a 610 from Ampeg. From what I've read, I won't be disappointed. :)

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I love my Hartke 410XL that I've had since the mid-90s, but for a 410 it is heavy. About 100 lbs. So if they're still making them like that I'm not sure how much weight you'd be saving with two Hartke cabs vs. a 610. The flexibility would be the bigger thing.

16. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I use a pf500 with a 4.5xl- sounds great! I add in a 115xl when needed- sounds even better.

17. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I've been using an AMPEG SVT III non pro with a Hartke 410XL and 410AK. I dig it. I use overdrive and fuzz though. I have a live show sample that gives just an idea of the sound if you'd like to hear it.

18. Just about ANY two cabs together sound better then one alone when standing near your amp. The difference is out in the room you are playing where mixed size drivers start to show problems. Matching cabs (two 1X15's OR two 4X10's) works better.

19. hartke gets bashed?! i am not a hartke owner, but all i hear is how great their customer service is and it looks like pretty good bang for the buck! not arguing with you, just sharing a different view.
    if i needed a rig on a budget, i'd look to hartke first. maybe that's why they get grief, just kind of known as a budget line?

20. Zombie Thread

Hate when that happens.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021