1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need an HPF for my $25 Amazon Basics computer speakers?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Nov 2, 2019.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I bought a new pair of small computer speakers for my computer at work. I played a couple songs and the bottom end farted out. I immediately thought-- HPF!

EDIT: This is mostly a tongue in cheek thread. I was expecting a more humorous response. Since I couldn't delete the thread I'm just revising the title and first post I made. No technical advice is needed or sought. Just bad jokes!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Iristone and HCF like this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What speakers did you buy? I doubt a HPF would help.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Did you buy cheap?

Can’t get a silk purse from a sow’s ear

Instead of spending $150 on an HPF, spend $150 on a decent set. Like the Klipsch 2.1 with powered sub.

Bboopbennie and alaskaleftybass like this.
  4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Hardware solutions are so 20th century.

How about a software HPF? It's a computer after all, and you don't have to worry about preserving an analog signal chain.

10+ best audio equalizer software for Windows 10

Don't let Stumbo hear you say that. :roflmao:

Iristone and alaskaleftybass like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Yes, they were cheap. Amazon Basics. But the built in equalizer is very deficient. I appreciate the software equalizers. I don't need amazing sounding speakers, I only play music as a background while I'm working on computers. Something like ambient music.

6. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I did start this as a semi-joke but after more thinking, the process of HPF could be applied with software EQ. Learning about EQ from Stumbo has been beneficial and that got me to thinking as I listened to the speakers fart out. There's a specific EQ setting that needs to be turned down. It's the setting probably below 100Hz that's causing the speaker to push too hard.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Carry on.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  7. if they're farting out, then they're not okay enough for what you're asking of them. If you dropped a whopping $13 dollars for those AB cone shaped things, you get what you pay for.

8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    At work, as technical procurement, I buy a lot of stuff. Most of the Amazon branded products are pretty good. This set of speakers for $24.99 got a ton of great reviews. I guess most non-musicians can't detect the lack of bass in a speaker! There are 2 x 3" speakers so technically there should be enough speaker mass plus 15 watts to create at least some bass. But to my ears the built in amplifier was poorly designed. Even with the bass EQ set to max it's very anemic. I fault the engineers who chose the amplifier.

Bear in mind this was mostly a post in jest. I understand very well basic speaker design and amplification.

9. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    I would crank the bass and volume and play the E string as hard as possible. Once they blow up, go buy a fridge...

;)

10. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I've never seen any but the best computer speakers reproduce anything below 100 Hz, even with a "sub". Same with most plastic PA cabinets. :thumbsup:

I remember Polk used to make some nice sounding little computer speakers for cheap.

11. Expecting true bass from such tiny speakers is probably unrealistic. The more expensive speakers of similar size probably give the impression of more bass by using DSP to high pass to remove the low bass and provide a significant bump in the midbass for more apparent bass that the speakers can actually reproduce.
    Cutting below 100Hz and boosting 100 to 150 or 200 will probably give more "bass" than ttrying to boos below 100.

12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I think my best bet is to pull out my backup solo P.A., a 180 watt Behringer powered mixer, and two 8" P.A. speakers by Rockville. They look like mini-Mackies and handle a surprising amount of power and put out great bass for what they are. Or I might just get a pair of JBL's with a subwoofer.

okcrum likes this.
  13. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    what are the best Amazon Basics speakers for metal (someone had to say it)

14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Certainly not Amazon Basics! :bored:

catcauphonic likes this.
  15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I use a little CP-8 powered PA speaker on my computer if I don't need stereo (which is most always unless I'm mixing). I usually use it for small DB/EUB gigs. It sounds good enough for woodshedding so you should be OK for ambient.

We'll need pics of the looks on your co-workers' faces the first time they see that rig, though. :roflmao:

16. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :laugh:

17. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Buying cheap gear to buy more gear, which eventually will all be for sale soon. Sounds like a good way to spend the money.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021