1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do low serial numbers = more value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, Oct 1, 2010.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I've got a mid 80s Japanese Fender Jazz Bass specail. It was my first bass and I still play it. The other day someone noticed the serial Number was 0001946. He said it was more valuable with a low serial number. I'm not looking to sell it and I've kept it in great shape but I am curious. Do serial numbers add/take away value?? That's a new one on me. Any info would be helpful. thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes and no. If the bass is one that would be collectable already, like a vintage USA Fender, then for some buyers a low serial number would be worth a little bit more. For a non-collectable bass, the serial # generally means jack squat.

A mid-80s MIJ Fender J Special is right on the cusp between collectable and not so much. My personal opinion is that the low serial # on it is "noteworthy" and "cool", but probably not worth any extra money on resale.

3. A lower number means it's older so generally speaking - yes.

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    To a collector, it would make their day to have the first ever made or something. But to anyone else, it's just a bass and that is good enough. I personally couldn't care about a number. It would still sound as good.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021