1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do Nordstrand P/ups require a preamp or can they run passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slurpy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I think i've worded the question correctly.

Im doing up my old OLP bass, bought Nordstrand p/ups for it. I'm not that great when it comes to anything electrical so had a mate do the installation for me. he has it all installed, looking great, but no sound. at all.

I thought maybe because the olp is passive but the p.ups are sposed to be active? otherwise hes just stuffed the job up. either way will be taking it to a local guitar shop later this week to get it fixed, would just like to know what i need when i'm there.

Cheers

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They are passive pickups, no preamp required.

3. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    AFAIK you can run any Nordy pups passive. I'm running Big Single 5s passive and love it! Nordstrand recommends 250K pots for warmth. Which pickup set was installed? It's pretty easy to install them yourself if you have an appropriate soldering iron. Check Bass Guitar Wiring Diagrams at Buzzard's Bass Guitar Shop for good wiring diagrams ...

That being said, I have run into trouble trying to install a kill switch. Stick to something simple and it's a piece of cake. If it's not working, try swapping the leads to the output jack ...

4. yes problem is solved. thanks for your input.

tedsalt, it was the mm5.2 - have completely upgraded my old olp bass, had all the wires inside replace, as well as input jack and obviously pick up. one slight problem now. instead of no volume, its volume always on full, but thats definitely more workable than having nothing at all. but thats what you get for having a friend do the work and not taking it to a guitar tech, so cant really whinge. sounds fantastic, have read much hype about these pups, and all nordys for that matter and id say very much deserved.