Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do schecters suck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Formula, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    specifically the c4...i was playing around with one in GC yesterday, and it sounded pretty nice to me. real bright tone, wide tone range, fun to slap around on...the only thing i noticed that i didnt like was one of the knobs was sticking, like it had been forced too far down.

anyway, would a schecter c4 be a good buy for a lower-intermediate player for right at $500?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If you like it, why do you need to ask us if they suck? Also, Schecters have been discussed MANY times. Do a search.

3. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    well i'm still pretty new to basses...and i guess i was more curious about build quality, etc etc.

i should have done a search though. m'escuzzi.

4. I played on a C4 before, and i wasnt to much of a fan of them. I also had a a Stilletto sitting next to me, of which I was a fan of. I liked the shape better (ergonomically) it didnt have those, IMO, stupid vector inlays, and just overall, felt better, and to me, played better. I'm not sure which stilletto it was, but it was around 500-600.

Im not too sure why I did like the stillettos sound better, I think its build sheet is pretty close to the C4s... hmmm...

~Ryan

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I would say, yes, Schecters are a great buy.

I have had a couple in the past and my main problem with them was neck dive, because obviously the body was too light. Otherwise for the money, they are very good: nice sound, nice construction, excellent fretwork.

But I personally like Yamahas better for that price, and I hear Ibanez has tremendous models at that range too.

6. I'm with Lefty here. Yamaha tend to wipe the floor in that price range. Even with Ibanez, though that's probably down to personal choice. I like Yamaha necks better, some might prefer Ibanez.

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I agree +1 --->Yamaha

8. The Stiletto basses are decent for the money. I think that they are fairly even with the Ibanez 500 series basses.I owned a couple of SDGR Ibanez basses ( 5 and 6 string) and generally found the EQ to be more useful than on Schecter's basses. But overall, both companies are close for the money.

ANd yes, it seems that Yamaha's build quality is good. They seem to offer good basses with decent electronics.Most of the Yamaha models that I have played offer very wide string spacing though.That is something you should check out before buying.

But getting back to Schecter,.They offer a good isntrument for the price.And some of their guitars like the C1 Elites are actually very good.

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Two things I don't like about the Schecters... First, the Passive EMG's. Second, the narrow spacing on the 5 strings. Other than that, I think they are great basses, and with wider spacing I would buy one and change the pickups.

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I would say that Schecters in general have one of the best, if not THE best, cost to quality ratio. I am a total bass snob and I will gladly play a Schecter over any other bass for the same price.

As for the knob issue, they are easy to pull up or replace. Main factor to look at is the build quality. Replacing a pot (or knob or part of a preamp) is cheaper than a refret, a neck leveling, or a new bass.

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have always been impressed with Scheters for the price. I've played a few stillettos that blew many basses in their price range out of the water. Not sure about the quality control and online ordering, but they are one of the best basses under $500 new.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    USA Shecters are amazing. Kind of like a "Sadowsky lite". Lite on the price not the quality. Korea Schectors that I've tried have been on par with similar instruments in the same price range from the usual suspects (Dean, ESP, etc.). I think their Korean stuff is all set up in the USA before it's shipped.

13. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004

I must agree, I love my Schecter USA jazz bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    Sorry, as a newbie I was unaware of the rule.

15. No worries, but you'll save one of the moderators a little trouble if you delete that 'for sale' post.

Welcome to the forum. :)

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Absolutely.

I also played a couple Schecters at GC yesterday (C4 & Stilleto Elite). Played them both a few times before as well. Although they are not really for me, Schecters definitely do not suck.

17. stringtheorist

stringtheorist

Jul 14, 2005
    I am a noob bass player (a measly two months or so) and I bought a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 with very little knowledge of basses. I am becoming quite fond of it however. I have been down to *insert retail giant here* a few times since I started playing (read: trying to play), and have found that I prefer the 'feeling' of my Schecter to some of the even more expensive basses. I feel very satisfied with my purchase. Hope this helps a little.

:D

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Its very hard to come by info on their Custom Shop basses , maybe their better known on the west cost then the east.

19. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    I guess so man, I've been trying to figure out stuff about mine for a while now, all I know is I got it for a steal. PM me if ya want to discuss.

20. I see your Jazz has a 2-TEK bridge! I have one in my Hamer and I love it!