Do the E string determine lowest possible heigth for the other strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by makz, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician

ABSOLUTELY!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    huh?

this question makes no sense; if you set each string so the bottom of the string is the same distance from the top of a given fret, then by definition the strings will follow the radius curvature.

3. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    By the way, Jerzy Drozd has a free setup guide on his web site:

Jerzy Drozd Basses - The Bass Art Company

Called The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Bass Setup, it is a downloadable PDF file. It really explains setups very well. It not only explains what you need to do, but why, and with good diagrams.

4. makz

makz

May 16, 2009
    Yes, it does, because how I see it, the radius curvature does not compensate for the different thickness of the strings, that would be true if all strings were of the same thickness.

By the way I've already read the basic setup guides referenced on this forum.

5. makz

makz

May 16, 2009
    Look, to clarify things, this is what I'm talinkg about

[​IMG]

When you measure the strings from the top, if the fretboard is a curved line at the bottom, the distance from the top of the frets to the bottom of the strings increases as the thickness decreases, even when the strings are following a curvature.

If you measure the curvature from under the strings, the distance from the fetboard is even, but now on the top of the strings there is no curvature there is more like a stairs shape.

I'm measuring it from the top, and I've seen both "methods" used, to me the first one, having a stairs like shape at the top feels better, so I'm asking if doing it that way is ok.

6. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If it feels better to you then that is the right way to do it (assuming you are the one that will be playing it). If it is your bass, then make it feel the way you like it, regardless of the "right" way of doing it.

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    A skilled tech will spin the curve.

In other words, they will measure the radius from the bottom of the string but will raise the bass side and lower the treble. This method allows for easier access to the bass side.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you don't measure radius from the top, that's useless.

"string height" as a concept is always from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string.

+1 to "cheating the curve", making the big strings progressively higher from the fret than the little strings (as measured from the bottom, the only measurement that matters).

9. makz

makz

May 16, 2009
    Thanks, now eveything is clear to me :cool:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021