1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do ya like BIG beers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DanAleks, Apr 11, 2010.

1. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
  2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    not really BIG beers as such :D

strong, yes. though 41% ABV beer is a bit ridiculous IMHO...

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    No. I've had higher alcohol content beers like Spaten Optimator, Dead Guy Ale and Pike Kilt Lifter and while they are only marginally higher in content (around 10 %) they are usually too sweet and too strong for my tastes. I think the higher alcohol content just kills the flavor of the beer and that last glug usually tastes like a swig of isopropyl.

When do we stop considering these beers and start considering them barley wines or weak liquors?

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Agreed. I don't like it when the taste of alcohol is the overpowering flavor in a drink. It's why I quit drinking things like vodka years ago. I figure if I'm going to enjoy a drink, then I'm going to enjoy something that I like the taste of. Alcohol itself is not a pleasant flavor.

5. The strongest stuff I've had is probably Samiclaus, 14% alcohol. Goes well with fine chocolate. I love Chimay blue, which is 9%, and I think it goes well with stuff like meatball parmigiana subs although it probably wasn't intended for such... Normally I am fond of stuff like Spaten Optimator or Weihenstephaner Korbinian which is in the 7+% range, and is great with German type food or hearty meat and potatoes dishes

6. I've heard the tactical nuclear pinguin sucked but the new one, Sink The Bismarck! is pretty awesome!! Imperial IPA stuff that is supposedly very very hoppy.

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    As long as it's not to malty and sweet I'm up for it. Had a Sam Adams Imperial Series Double Bock the other night and the malt content and sweetness pretty much killed it.

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The highest alcohol beer I've had was Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA, weighing in at an impressive 18% abv. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the $60 for a 41% abv beer.

10. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    Try Oskar Blues' Gordon, out of Colorado. I think 8 or 9%, red, and delicious. You can throw back four or five of those before you know it ... by then you're halfway gone and don't know that, either.

My favorite beer isn't "big," it's just perfect: Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale. Yeeesssss.

11. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I can actually chime in here. I have sampled the previously worlds strongest beer from Brew Dog, 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin' coming in at 32%.

This come in a Bud sized bottle which we shared between 6 of us. It is meant to be drank like a whisky and not like a beer. It did however smile vile, fizz orange and taste like shoes.

I can officially say I've drank it but I cant say I enjoyed it.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    No way I'm paying anywhere near that. That's just throwing money away. [that I don't have]

If I want more a more efficient way, I'll just pour some vodka.

Otherwise, the normal beers are fine for me. I like tasting different beers, but only when I don't need a loan to purchase them. :)

13. I feel like i'm in the minority of liking higher % beers more. Delerium Tremens is %8.5 and I like it quite a bit. Some of my favourite beers come from Canada (aye?), the Unibrou company makes quite a few 8 - 10 % beers.

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Got to find me some of that. Sounds pretty delicious. Pretty hoppy?
    Oskar Blues's beers are the ****! Dales Pale Ale is amazing and so is their Momma's little yella pils. Their Old Chub has a different taste to it, but I can down a sixer in no time. Great stuff!

I want to try their Ten-Fidy and Gubna brews. Pretty hefty ABV content, and is they are half as good as their other offerings, they should be pretty damn tasty.

15. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I like the Spaten Optimator at roughly 7.5%

spaten-optimator.

16. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'll go with Chouffe instead.

Past 10% doesn't make for "beer". This much alcohol would qualify as beer-flavored liquor, I think.

17. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Nah.... BIG beers always taste too sweet and syrupy to me. I like big-ish beers, and I was weaned on 5-6% ales. These days, what I really like is Exmoor ale. Some beers that are only 3.8% can seem really thin and wimpy, but Exmoor is really tasty and you can drink a gallon of it without getting pished.

http://www.exmoorales.co.uk/ea_ale.html

18. try some Double India Pale Ale stuff and you won't get too much sweetness there. I had Nugget Nectar this weekend and at 7.5%, there were very very few sugars in the taste. Pretty much all hops, mostly amarillo I guess.

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Beer?Yes please.

20. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I think there is a reason why not too many people make beers that strong. I like strong up to barleywine territory but even those can be nasty sometimes.