Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you flange?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassteban, May 4, 2005.

1. Are you subtle, or obnoxiously over-the-top? On all the time, or used sparingly? What's your brand? Bass-specific model or no? Thank you all.

2. I flange, and use the Boss BF-3, but I'd use something else. It's nice, and I mainly use it for the size and stereo outs. I use it sparingly, mostly for subtle bridges or a little tweak for solos or intros. Normally depth is at 80% and rate is about 30% or slower. I like it, it gets the job done...but I never should have sold my vintage MXR flanger.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I use an Ibanez CF7 and it's great for the price. I love it for subtle useage.

4. There's a used Boss High-Band Flanger at my local music store- I think I'll grab it today. Anybody ever play w/one of these?

5. I use a BF-2 in one of my bands.
    Drop D tunning with the BF-2 and the Fulltone BassDrive... sweeet :D

6. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    i loved my boss BF-3, but i traded it with my guitarist for his Line 6 Mod pro, and i now use the MXR Flanger model on that. I like slow, clean flanging, with moderate feedback. for one part i use my flanger with heavy distortion, and that sounds awesome. i love mod effects after distortion

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I've owned a BF2, BF3, TC Electronics SCF, Danelectro Hash Browns, Morley PFL, Ibanez DFL, and now I'm burned out on crap flangers. I cannot find one that I'm satisfied with.

So I'm leaving flange effects off of my board until I can get my hands on one of the "best": the A/DA Flanger or the Paradox TZF. Someday, someday...

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to flange... I love the sound on bass... really adds a shimmer... .

Alas, with the bands I play with, the opportunities to use it are few and far between.. so I took it off my pedal board....

Maybe someday in the future, I will flange again... I will serve that most deluxe of electric mistresses... :bassist:

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like fast, phat flange with very little depth and a lot of feedback.
    For a slower effect I prefer chorus.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always preferred the BF-2 over the BF-3. The newer pedal just didn't jive with me. I like it subtle and swooshy, nice and slow just to add richness to the sound.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I use a Korg AX-1B (great for digital, accurate tone) and a TC SCF pedal.

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I love my BF-2. It's a Japanese one that my brother bought new in the '80's. Many useful tones from lush and subtle to really crazy sweeps and resonant gong-like reverb. This is one of the strangest Boss pedals, and there are several trimpots inside that let you tweak the sound further.

I'd love to try the MXR and ADA flangers--Eddie Van Halen and Steve Stevens really got some great sounds from them back in the day. I haven't yet found an Ibanez flanger I like--the one built into mu UE303B sounds boring in comparison to the Boss.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I use a Aria Flager for light flanging, it actually allows you to set two rates so u can hold the pedal down and have a faster or slow speeds. Very very cool, I set mine for ver very light flange

Cheers

14. I've recently purchased a BF-3 from ebay, and I'm waiting for it to try it with my bass. Don't really know if need it (I probably don't), but it's cool anyway.

But I'm more an EHX-person.. How is the eletric mistress compared to boss flangers?

15. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    The first effect I ever bought was a BOSS BF-1 in teh early 1980's..damn I miss it

16. Didn't Fred Flinstone have one of those? :rolleyes:
    Kidding- I was alive & playing(*cough*old) throughout the 80s...

BTW, I did get the High Band Flanger yesterday. It's cool; seems to keep the low end pretty intact, though I have nothing to compare it to, & haven't used it live. Definitely subtle.

17. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Boss SE-50 Flange on "Stranglehold."

18. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    The electric mistress! My favorite flanger of all time! For those who want to know they've been flanged!

19. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    I've still got a BF-1 Flanger. I will have to try it for Bass. It is a big pedal and it has settings for flanger, chorus, and phaser. You can get some really strange sounds out of it as well as some nice, more subtle ones. It does tend to be a bit noisy in some modes though.

20. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    yes subtley, and infrequently to say the least, i run an alesis midiverb iv in my rack for s^%$'s and giggles. only use it on a=ocasion, but then it fulfilled an attack of GAS........ I've also been known to chorus at times.....