Do you name your bass(es)? Why/why not? DB FORUM THREAD

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ed S, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I often see where bassists refer to their instrument by name - generally female. I used to experience this in the classic car culture, and never really understood it there either. I recall bassmonkey used to assign names to all of their basses. And other instrumentalists have done the same.

Was wondering if folk would be interested in sharing their opinions/experiences on this. Have you named your basses? Why or why not? I'm not intending to criticize anyone who likes to name their bass for whatever reason - just trying to understand (and bored w/ work today! ;)).

2. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    I'm also bored with work. Usually actually.

I don't name my basses, but refer to them by maker, so people probably think I have one named Kay and one named Eastman. I also have a hot rod, unnamed. Referred to as 'the ford' or the shoebox....

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I've found a perfect solution to boredom at work: retirement. :D

The previous owner of my Alcoa double bass had dubbed it the feminine short name for Allison, "Ali". I've just not been able to bring myself to continue that. I usually just refer to it as my double bass or my Alcoa, or if I'm in a rush, my DB.

210superair and Ed Fuqua like this.
  4. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Yeah, but I bet my checks are bigger! :D The checks are the ONLY thing keeping me from joining you, my friend!

210superair and dhergert like this.
  5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Basses are like cats: once you name them you have to keep them. There is no flipping of "named" basses.

6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Naming one's bass has always struck me as a bit "creepy...." i.e., Norman Bates "creepy...".
    IMFO, of course, as always.
    Gotta go....
    (Coming MOTHER!!!!)

tenor.png

Matunuck, Fretless55, BobKay and 2 others like this.
  7. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I could never understand why people name their Basses,I just refer to mine as my P Bass, Jazz Bass,Stingray etc! I think it is more of an American thing.

dhergert likes this.
  8. Personally I've always thought that the naming of anything male of female is ridiculous! Basses. Boats, Cars, they are all inanimate object and therefore just tools. (Although I have a friend whole used to be a framer and his hammer was named Bertha!)

210superair and dhergert like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i once named an ax "betty." it ended up getting me in trouble ( :D ) so i stopped naming them.

current names:

- "the black one"
    - "the red one"
    - "the burst"
    - "the blond one"
    - "the ugly one"
    - "the one in pieces"
    - "the other one in pieces"

:laugh:

10. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    I haven't named my upright. It told me it prefers anonymity.

11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

My fretted TWB.
    My G Style.
    My fretless TWB.

20200820_163649.jpg

JRA likes this.
  12. dolanmolan

dolanmolan

Aug 15, 2016
    The upright I play most often was named by someone else. One day they just started calling it Megan and I thought that was such an absurd name for the bass that I couldn't stop thinking about it. Eventually I started calling it by that name! Now it's stuck. My upright's name is Megan!

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I don't name mine.

I call some by their model name - Stingray, Precision, Jazz. The other two have model names that are kind of numeric, so I usually say "L" when taking about my L-2500 and usually say "hollowbody" (even though it's actually a semi-hollow) when talking about my Ibanez AGB-205.

But giving them names? Nah, can't imagine I'd ever do that.

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I don't name my instruments or any other inanimate objects. Puzzles me why people do that.

15. Sooner Boomer

Sooner Boomer

Feb 11, 2020
    I've got a Harley Benton P-bass I jokingly refer to as "Bach"

16. Yep, I name all my instruments. My main DB is named Oscar.

Many people have mentioned above that they view this as weird and, to be fair, I'm a weirdo :):thumbsup:

Matunuck and dhergert like this.
  17. I have multiples of a few different types & brands of basses. (A couple of the same type backups on the side of the stage, in case something goes wrong). Naming three look-alike basses seems to be better than numbering them, like Pete Townsend did. E26090D1-ABF7-4165-810E-C478C8E5C16A.jpeg

PBandJazzBass likes this.
  18. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I don't want to comment on weirdness or not - just asking WHY you name them. What emotion or whatever does it evoke or satisfy in you?

And DANG - what brought all these slabheads over to the classy side? ;)

210superair likes this.
  19. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Here here. As soon as the checks stop I'm out too! Lol.

I don't find it creepy if people name their stuff. I do think there are a few intimate objects that naming goes without saying, like wood boats. My glass boat came with a name on it already, and it did suit me so I kept it. I get guys naming dragsters and certain cars, it's like branding/merchandising and the wife does that for a living, so I have a small amount of understanding of it.

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I named my first car Nell after a spaceship from a crappy Sci Fi movie.

Other than that I don't think I have successfully named any of my possessions. I did try to name one of my motorcycles Norbert after Hagrid's dragon, but it didn't stick. The bike is a Honda Valkyrie which some calls a dragon.

Maybe a picture will explain the dragon reference:
    upload_2020-8-28_18-31-50.jpeg
    This is not my bike, but it's the same model.

Since you asked why or why not. Why indeed? I simply don't find it useful. Maybe in few years.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021