Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you own a Brice Bass? -- Poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 20, 2005.

Do you own a Brice Bass?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2005.
  1. Yes - And I like it.

29 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. No - And I want one.

66 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Yes - And I wish I didn't.

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. No - And I have no desire for one.

136 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. This is a poll to find out how many people own a Brice Bass and their general thought.

I'm contemplating the HXB-406 Bubinga fretless, since it's the only option now, what with no fretted option that I saw. Anyway, on to the poll. :smug:

If you had one and sold it, choose the "No - And I have no desire for one" option.

If you had one, DID like it, but had to sell it, still go ahead and choose the "Yes - And I like it." option.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have no Brice, and don't need one, since I have two great fretted fives, a great fretless five, and a great fretted six.

But I do own an SX.

3. Are you showing off!?!?! :eek:

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There was no poll option for: "I used to own a Brice, but ended up selling it."

Used to own the HXB-406 Bubinga 34" fretted model, but sold it when I realized 6 strings are two too many for me.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, I have one (a Brice Prestige Z6 neck-through) and I actually love the thing :D Use it as my main fretted, all of the time. I did a review of it, here's the link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/545/sort/7/cat/13/page/1

This bass has way, way, way exceeded my expectations. I recently bought an FBB fretless 6 from another TBer, this is a custom built bass that would be about $2200-$2400 new, and the Brice stands toe-to-toe with it for playability, tone, recordability, volume and eye candy. Of course, there are clearly differences in the construction; the FBB is an exquisitely constructed bass and the Brice is mass produced, but this bass is worth much more than the $400 price tag. I would put it up against any other bass in the <$1200 range.

The only issue is the set-up ... it's a nightmare out of the box :eek: But once you get it straight, it's a groove machine :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't confuse the Brices with the Rondo SX basses ... two different animals altogether. The Essex Megathread here on TB is routinely mistaken to be about Brice basses ... it's not, other than both lines are imported by Rondo.

Yeah, I love it and I'm proud to play it :bassist:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not at all.:)

I just wanted to let everybody considering a Brice the reason that I am not. It is not because they are bad basses, it is because I have no need for one. Face it, if I bought a Brice five or six, would I play it before my Zon, Nordstrand, Cirrus, or Lakland? Nope.

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree, I wouldn't play it before the Zon or Nordstrand either. But, I did choose it over the Cirrus :bag:

8. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    +1

I am waiting for the Brice violin bass to come back; I'll pick up one of those.

Glenn D.

9. I guess the "No - And I have no desire for one." option is the best one for that circumstance. If you DID like it but had to sell it, still go ahead and choose the "Yes - And I like it." option.

10. I have a V2 fretless 5-string and like it, but it needs new strings and a setup. I'm thinking about putting EMG's on it.

11. jamiedunce

jamiedunce

Jan 21, 2005
    I owned a Brice HXB-406 bubinga fretted. I loved it to pieces until some money issues arrived and i had to sell it... I miss it...

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the 5-string Brice Douglas fretless and I like it quite a bit, especially for what i paid for it ($175.00 shipped and already setup and shielded by a fellow TBer). I solo the bridge pickup, Jaco-style, and it sounds quite nice. The neck is a bit on the chunky side, but whatever.

Is it my #1 fretless? With a Skyline 44-02 fretless, I would have to say "no". But it is a good backup and it's great to use when I want to slap on a fretless without worrying about fretboard damage.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I've got a V2 Fretless as well... decent 'I wanna try fretless bass...' without breaking the bank. I still haven't strayed or see myself straying far from my Valenti or my new Sadowsky though.

I immediately put flats on it. It's got ok tone, a little muddy IMO, and the hardware should be called semi-hardware. Other than that it's ok.

14. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I've got frankenjazz that started as a Brice, I love it.

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    At some point I want to get a HBX-405 fretless with no lines. I like the idea of having a fretless w/o lines, and that would probably be a good bass to start with that.

16. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Nice looking bass! What kind of soapbar did you put in it? I know that the front pickup routing is wide, but I hadn't considered the idea of replacing the front jazz with a soap.

17. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I emailed kurt and asked about the fretted 6 version. They are not discontinued just out of stock till this summer, but they did get some of the grey fretted 6'es in. I had a v2 fretless 6 for a while, couldnt play it worth a damn and ended u selling it. It was really a nice instrument though. The newer brice models look even better.

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Jamie is referring to the same bass as me. I sold it to him! Provided you're the same Jamie Dunce from MX.

19. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I put a Bartolini 72BC5K-B in it. It fits with about 2 mm on all sides. There's a Bart 59J-L1 at the bridge and a J-retro. This thing sounds amazing. The soapbar, asides from being aesthetically cool, really rounds out the tone. It has a fat scooped kind of tone thats great for dub, country, and a meaty slap tone. Plus it gives you the option of wiring that pup in series or parallel for different tones as well. It's THE best $650 dollar bass I've ever heard.

20. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Very nice! Did you have to do any additional routing to either cavity?

The reason I'm asking is that I was unable to put a set of US Fender 5-string jazz pickups in it due to size constraints.