Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you still have a combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millard, Dec 28, 2005.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    Many of us have multiple cabinets and multiple pre-amps and probably multiple amps. With all that great gear, do you still have a "practice" combo or did you sell that long ago?

Note, this question does not apply to "gigging capable" combos.

I was just looking at my Backline 115 the other day and thought "Why are you still here?". It's not that much more trouble to grab my rack box and a 15" cab (and it sounds much better).

Millard

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Yes. . . both.

Ampeg BA115 for practice and small gigs. SWR Silverado Special for larger venues. Also have multiple cabinets and a separate head. :D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have three.

I have an SWR Basic Black at my rehearsal space.

A Peavey BAM210 at church.

And a Fender Bassman 25 in my bedroom.

For loud gigs, it is hard to beat my iAMP 800 and Schroeder 1210.

But the SWR works fine for rehearsal, the BAM works great for church, and anything other than the Fender would be overkill for my bedroom.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have a GK backline 110 I don't like, (calm down GK people, just personal preferance), so I got an Eden Nemesis NC210,which is more amp than I bargined for.

5. My amp is pretty much overkill for my current situation (only really got bedroom practice atm :( ), but i do still have my first little combo amp

Its a Peavey Rage158 15 watt guitar amp (1x8" speaker), i got it when i first started playing guitar, and then used it for playing with my bass for just over a year before getting my peavey firebass and 410 cab, its still sitting here, and it still gets used now and then :)

6. It's call poverty. In a year or two I'll have more disposable income and upgrade to a WT550 and 1210, or maybe a TFB 550 and a Berg mini-stack, or maybe an Aggie 500 and GS112 stack, or maybe................keep dreaming.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    A 15 year old Peavey Minx that still works and a new Yorkville XM50C for at home practice and teaching.

A Mesa Walkabout Scout combo for gigs.

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    My situation fits in I think..

I got a fat Bag End 4.10" and Peavey T-Max Head - a hell of a combination btw- for giggin', but use the Ashdown After Eight at home. Plenty of power and really awesome sounding if you find out that it has cost NEW only 130 euro. If I turn up the stereo to play along with a cool tune or whatsoever it will be more an issue with the After Eight that I get complaints that it is too loud than hardly loud enough... I'd recommend it to anyone, that's for sure.

So a few hunderd Watts and a 4.10" for gigs.

And a few Watts through an 8" speaker at home. ;)

9. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    I have 3--

GK MB150-- love it.... 26 lbs, sounds great, perfect for jamgrass gigs

Roland DB500 -- heavy, 56 lbs, 160 LOUD watts, good modelling, decent chorus and compression, never leaves the basement anymore, but will soon for the blues band

Hartke b200- piece o' crap, but it was only 75 bucks. Not sure why i still have it, actually...

10. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Nope. Unfortunately.

My amp is either, "On," or, "Off." Meaning, it goes from amplifying to the bass' natural acoustic levels to hear-it-throughout-the-house.

Having a small combo would be nice, but that's $100 that could be used better - I don't mind playing acoustic 90% of the time at home and it's actually more convenient.

11. I haven't had any interest in combos since the Gorilla GB30 of my youth. I'm getting a Fender BXR 300 for dirt cheap along with a Transporter 210 cab to leave at the rehearsal space. Doesn't qualify since it would be considered gig ready, but it's the only combo that'll be in my life for a while.

12. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    I've still got my Peavey 115 Bass Combo. Its convenient and I find myself practicing on it now and again.

-CWA

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Yes, but it is gig-worthy. I have a SWR Baby Blue II (also have a Carvin PB 200-10 out on long term loan to a kid). I find that I use my big rig more (Glockenklang HeartCore into a Berg NV 610) for practice since it sounds soooo good. I will probably bite the bullet and sell it to buy a couple of Berg 12's.

Dan K.

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My main amp is an Ampeg BA-210SP. :bag:

15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

well , my Carvin RC210 is my practice amp , but it also serves
    as a decent amp for jam sessions and whatnot ...

i changed out the Carvin R600 head and installed a Hartke HA4000 head a few years ago ...
    it pumps out some pretty serious thump . :D

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I do lots of pup swaps and occassionally messing with electronics so a small SS combo is great for testing. Make it one with decent sound and you've got a portable package that's useful for low volume situations (or no volume with headphone jack).

The down side of combo's is having the speaker and amp together and getting irritating extraneous noises and few small packages carry a full low end if you want it (I say few, I don't know of any but allowing leeway for an exception). The output can be worked around.

17. My main rig is an Eden CXC-110(1x10 combo)+CX-110(1x10 cab). Very capable for the main gig: Church. I also have a Hartke Kickback 12 for practice/backup, but it's for sale; if I sell it I'll use my first-ever bass amp- an original Crate model 1B(30 watt 1x12 in an army-surplus ammo box, hence the name 'Crate'. Betcha didn't know that, eh?).

18. I like playing accoustic too, but when i play amplified i can pick out mistakes more obviously, wavers in technique anyway

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have 2. A SWR LA-12 60w 12" for lite rehearsals and a Peavey TNT130 130w 15" which I bought in the early 80's that still works and have never had one problem with it! I know you said non gig-capable but I gigged the Peavey for years. I now just use it for rehearsing.

20. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I still have my Peavey Basic 60 1x12 combo. I don't really use it anymore but I just can't part with it for some odd reason.