1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you support your local music community?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Helix, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    "If you don't go to my show, don't expect me to go to yours.....and that's the way it is"

This was said to me the other day from a local guitarist when we were talking about another local band

The local metal scene here is a pretty tight group, and I've always been an advocate of supporting my locals. For me it's a way of getting out of the house, having some fun and talking shop.

Being an active part of the community for me is a very positive social activity that has actually served me pretty well.

But, I hear where he's coming from.........

Thoughts?

2. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I hear you. Very often in festival circuits, even when camped out with nowhere to go, many musicians don't attend each other's shows. I have been guilty of this myself, years past, and no longer. Bless me Muses for I have sinned...

Granted, there can be good reasons, but it happens often enough that I'm not talking about those cases - like you drove 7 hours, set up, played a 2 hour show, then socialized for 2 hours - ok we get that, please go to sleep..

The only local scene I've really been involved with is Open Mics, and there I have a similar gripe: don't come to an Open Mic, get the 3rd slot, and leave by the 4th. You don't have to stay the whole night, and I know - I know - open mic's can be brutally bad - but a little support goes a long way.

true story: there was an open mic I regularly attended that was very eccentric - opened with a blues trio, had lots of poetry readings, hip-hop, and art fusion involving homemade instruments, electronics, and someone reading a "Dr. Suess" book over the top of it. Strange as it sounds, I was the only singer-songwriter that went to that open mic. Goddamn I loved that one. usually it's just the opposite - too many 6-string acoustic guitars and enough songs of ex-girlfriends to make you want to slit your wrists and/or throw your coffee at the stage. A few weeks later this young person came up to me and said she'd not had the khutzpah to sing her songs in such a whacky environment, until she saw me do it first. I have never been so honored, as an artist, before or since.

Anyway thats slightly off topic but illustrates how showing up is important, and we don't always see the result.

But, to this guitarist's comment, no , I actually disagree. That sounds like he's taking it too far. Don't hit me with obligation, man. Now you sound needy and pathetic. And that's not supportive. I don't want to be in a clique that demands attendance of each other's shows. Come if you can, I would appreciate it if you did. And my participation and attendance does not hinge on some internal scorecard I'm keeping. Ain't got time for that.

mikeyjm2, bfields, Chawth34 and 22 others like this.
  3. I tried last year, but TBH I got tired of hearing the same covers & dealing with bar staff on a busy night.
    I prefer going in the daytime when it's not busy.

I see guys from other bands come to "support", but they nurse 1 beer all night, don't order food, & stand there with their arms folded in judgement.

blue4, SteveHeissner, Phud and 5 others like this.
  4. I go out to support my friends when I can, but there are limitations to what I'm able to do. I was out last night to see a band I've seen several times before and I go to see them because they are very good and I am friends with the bandleader and drummer. However, I had a multitude of choices last night where friends were playing in other venues, and I was tired and my head was hurting and I couldn't hit all the clubs I would have liked to. I left early. But I did make a showing.

Where this stuff concerns me is the attitude that if you leave a venue you're playing in and fail to stick around to support other bands on the bill that night, you're a horrible person. I have a job that requires me to be out and about at odd hours and if I'm packing up my gear and leaving right after playing an early set, you can bet that means I've got to go to work and I'm just squeezing this music thing in between work obligations. But people judge and that is wrong.

5. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I really should do more, but the reality is that my time is pretty limited due to having a busy day job. Getting out of the house in the evenings can be a challenge, and i am already doing it for my own gigs.

As for that comment in the OP, while i see where it is coming from, i don't really agree with it. I don't want musicians coming to my gigs to "support the scene." I want them to come because they like the music i am playing or the overall hang, just like anyone else in the audience. Come to enjoy yourself, don't come just to fulfill a meaningless social contract.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Honestly I don't have the time or energy to go to shows other than mine unless it's really close by. Most of my peers play shows 25-35 miles away and I have to drive through a tunnel. I ain't got that kind of gas to spare.

7. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    So true, and sometimes they don't want to buy anything and i am tempted to just tell them to go home.

TheReceder and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. I had to laugh at a friend on Facebook who was complaining about other musicians not supporting "the scene." He went on to say, "you know it's not about money because most of you are getting in for free." Got very offended when I asked him how not paying the cover charge was supportive. Apparently wanting to be paid something for our efforts is way out of line for some people.

The bar doesn't want Mr. I Can't Afford The Cover wasting space. They want someone who's going to buy a few drinks and tip the wait staff.

9. I'm not sure if it's a local phenomenon or what, but the waitresses & bartenders around here are total crap when it's busy. I could pull right up to the bar & just sit there waiting to order for 15 minutes.
    One in particular I go to during the daytime & tip the waitress well. She totally blanked me on a busy night & I haven't been back since.

Getting blanked by the band-members is a non-starter, as well. Went to see my former guitar instructor do a show & he spent all his time monkeying around with his pedals as I stood 3 feet right in front of him.
    The odd thing was his band-mates said hello & they don't even know me. That was the same night I got blanked by the waitress as I'm passing her face-to-face. I headed straight for the door after that.

Maybe I've got thin skin, but that crap don't fly with me!

I can't imagine being in a dance covers band & playing nearly the same set every week, because I can't even stand to watch that more than once, let alone play it weekly.
    Sadly the heavier rock shows only come through once & they usually come from up North or the state capital.

BOOG and comatosedragon like this.
  10. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I rarely go out to listen to bands anymore. Not really into the scene these days.

I always, however, support friends, locals and up-and-comers on social media whenever possible. I listen, watch, like, share, subscribe, rate, comment, download, purchase, micro-donate and all that stuff. It’s not much, but every bit helps.

jfh2112 likes this.
  11. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    I'm not in a band so I don't apply to the "if you don't go to my show..." thing...
    ...but I don't go out to see any bands anyways.
    The bar band thing is lame.
    I don't want to see yet another band playing the same predictable tunes the last 15,000 bar bands before them have played. No thanks.

Yea... another bar band version of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot".... for a $5 cover charge.

:poop:
    :bawl:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  12. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'm very supportive of local live music but I can only do so much. Seems like every third person I meet is in at least one band. Glad I don't work 7am-3pm anymore, as that cut out a lot of living after 8pm. Finances for a cover charge and drinking and/or eating out adds up weekly. I'm not even a big drinker, but for what I pay for a cover and one beer plus tip = a 12 pack I would buy for the week at home.

I agree with a bit of what everybody in this thread has already stated (and this bolded part especially ^), but how are they going to know they like something if they don't come out at least once to witness it?

So the dude was kinda right, but I would never say that as bluntly to pressure anybody into doing something. I mean there are lots of variables, but if I've seen your band 2 or 3 times and you've been unable to attend any of our 3 last shows, I'm just going to stop inviting you and going to yours. There are plenty of choices every day of the week around here.

Edit: I assume we're talking about original acts

rollie 55 and Passinwind like this.
  13. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I go out often to hear other bands play and the traveling acts coming through Portland. I moved here a couple years ago and at first it was to build a network but now I see friends and friends of friends play out.

Interesting here in Portland there is a group working to get loading zones at popular venues and standardized splits between the house and band(s), etc.

I introduce myself to most bands and players when the occasion arises. Something I learned from my high school band teacher, repeat their names and look them in the eye. Helps me remember who they are.

Helix likes this.
  14. I have noticed an interesting trend in this thread (admittedly a very small sample size so far) where as I can fairly accurately predict the response of the poster based on his/her geographical location (for those who provide that information).

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    I don't have any shows near me unless it's a festival. There's a couple restaurants that have live music, but it's low-key solo acts and not full bands.

There's hardly any sort of music scene in this area unless you want to drive for at least 75 minutes in nearly any direction - Jackson, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Nawlins, etc. Locally, it's a desert.

16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm no one to go out in the evenings in the first place, so you most likely won't see me "supporting" live music. However, I will buy CDs and Merch if I have a personal or musical interest in a group. If I like your music or know someone from your band well, expect me to buy your stuff, just don't expect me to come see you.

That means most cover bands are out because I don't know any from around here that sell tangible stuff.

17. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    No, I don't.
    I only go to shows I'm sincerely interested in (to be true I don't go to see them either, I haven't gone out for 2 years now. I haven't the strenght to go out alone anymore), I don't give a s*#t about the scene, communities and people in general. And I don't give a s*#t if they don't come to my show. Come of you are REALLY interested, I don't need your opportunist, hypocrite "favour". :cigar:

kodiakblair, BOOG and ihaveaquestion like this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you don't go out and support them, why SHOULD they help you? I don't go out a lot, but I try to go hear friend's band, pay the cover (if there is one), have a drink, and talk with them between sets. A rising tide lifts all boats.

LBS-bass likes this.
  19. I enjoy live music, so I get out pretty often when I’m not playing. But I don’t enjoy bands that run sound from stage, play in venues with crap equipment and no thought of the acoustics, or have guitar players that try to carry the venue with their amp. Plus there are days that I’m tired or want family time instead so I don’t always get out to see my buddies play.

But I think of my band and my business similarly, if I have to rely on my friends and family to keep me afloat I’d better rethink my plan.

BOOG, Rabidhamster and TheReceder like this.
  20. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Most boats here would do better to sink :smug:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020