1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you use your nails?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rockjazzbass, Mar 17, 2013.

1. rockjazzbass

rockjazzbass

Dec 9, 2011
    Are you using your nails when you're playing? For exemple; if you're plucking with the thumb do you use the nail of the index or middle?

2. I've grown my nails out and used them for a different sound, but I much prefer being able to use my pads because I can dig in a lot harder.

Sometimes I'll pretend to hold a pick and strum down with my middle finger's nail, but never seriously.

3. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Tried that many many years ago on my index & middle fingers for a pick-sounding-pluck. It wasn't long until the fingernails cracked & the fear of ripping a fingernail up mid-song make me cut them.

4. I hate the sound my nails make. I cut them short whenever they start making a clicking noise. Both hands.

5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    At times I'll use the back of the nail on my index finger.

6. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I keep them trimmed pretty tight. And play with fingertips but there's still a slight click when the nail passes that I don't mind. I must like it otherwise I'd change the angle and work from further up the finger.

7. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    I bite my fingernails short. Then i play around with them in my mouth. Sometimes, i'll stop myself from biting a good nail, to save it for tomorrow, when it'll be longer and even better to chew on for a few hours. But there never is enough left to play bass with.

Yes, people have told me i'm disgusting.