do your singers suck

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by brett_bassman16, Mar 15, 2004.

1. brett_bassman16

Feb 20, 2004
    how many singers have you been through we have been through 2 flat singers and now our guitarist is singing he is okay and gets better every time we play
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Ours has no sense of timing whatsoever, even though he's not bad at the singing itself, so it's a tossup.

(I feel I can't say anything because he and the other guys in the band have been friends for eons, I don't wanna hurt any feelings or my musical relationship with the other guys, so I'm a little torn as to what to do.)
  3. Make sure you get a good one. No one is going to leave the show singing the bass lines.
  4. That's the most difficult part to fill in any band. If the singer isn't good, the band will get a bad rap too. The first impression of a band, from a layman's standpoint, is typically the singer.The best singers, *IMHO*, are the ones who know how to play at least 1 instrument.
  5. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    i hate singers that cliam they can sing, then they turn out being a lame hardcore keep trying to sound scary in his mic. God i hate hardcore kids.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm starting to come to a realization about singers in rock/metal bands. The singer is the biggest factor in determining whether a band is doomed to be just another local band forever. I've heard so many small-time bands that have great instrumentalists but the singers are either just bad or hopelessly average.

A good singer is even harder to come by than a good drummer.
  8. My lineup went through 3 talented lead singers within ~ 1 year or so. All of them developed after a while the "LSD" syndrome. Eddie Van Halen came up with this abbreviation for "Lead Singer Desease", and I like it a lot :D .

After a lot of experimenting we decided to do without. All 3 members are able to sing certain tunes (covers & original material with backup) and the world is a better place. :D
  9. My bands singer has a VERY limited range and he can't harmonize for the life of him. I must agree with who ever has said it, the singer needs to be good or else the whole band gets a wrap. :hyper:
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Our singer is decent.Need a better one.
  11. can't find a decent singer for our band, so our guitarist1 sings 80%, guitarist2 sings 15% and me the bassist sing 5% of the songs. our band had a conscience that we woulnd't want to add someone who can just sing and not play instruments.
  12. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Our singer was terrible. Axle Rose called he wants his ego back. But he's a good buddy on mine and it took me 6 months tgo convince him to get vocal lessons. He has had 2 lessons, and needs to go back but it has helped him tremendously. He even goes through his excercizes with us and it has help the intire band. I plan myself to get vocal training after I take a keyboard class, and guitar lessons and get a little better at bass.
  13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    After coming to the conclusion that there were no good singers who were also reliable in our hometown, I sort of ended up de-facto lead singer in my band back home. I say de-facto because up until last week, we had never finished a song with lyrics (great riffs and all, we were all just too lazy/incapable of writing good lyrics). Upon listening to the recording we did last week, I still think that band has potential, but I'm gonna need to SERIOUSLY work on my singing before I go back home in two months. I owe it to the other guys and the songs we've already got (now apparently with lyrics).

Though I'm better than the guy in my first (and only other) band. Great friend, decent song writer, but the guy could NEVER hit a note. Oh well, I got to wank away on bass to draw attention away from the painful vocals. :D
  14. In my two original bands, a singer has been loads of trouble. My main band, our second guitarist ended up taking over the spot by default as we couldn't find anyone better. He's been working hard at it and has developped into a very capable live frontman - great stage presence which makes up for a few off notes here and there. We're in the process of doing vox for an album right now though and I think he's going to bankrupt us in the studio...

Second original band, we're still in the process of auditioning guys. Our guitarist / main songwriter is great in practice but can't handle himself on stage according to the video evidence.

With the cover band I sub in, the frontman has competed on national levels for vocal talents... and the two guys who do backups are probably better than him. Maybe the good ones just like singing covers?
  15. Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    well, since im the lead singer, i hope i can sing! i have to say though, to be a lead singer, its all about the presence, and putting emotion into the songs, some famous singers are crap, but get the message accros really well!

i reckon its about the performance, but you do have to be able to hit a note!
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  17. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    omg people, have you never heard any hardcore?
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. Doesn't make your post any more intelligible and/or legible.
  19. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003

20. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Hey, I came away singing a bass line once!

Nvm, our lead singer is pretty decent, doesn't really go into the style that he shines in, a sort of emotive/nin thing, as much as I would like, but what can you do? I'm throughly satisfied. And I agree, the lead singer makes or breaks a band.