1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DOD FX25 - Accessing the footswitch internally

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Apr 8, 2009.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    OK......so i have a FX25 older version....sparkle green. The footswitch is busted and the backdoor plate only leads me to the entire PCB. Do I need to get some allen wrenches and pop up the black lid footswitch thing?

My problem is that the footswitch is jacked and it always stays engaged despite stomping on the switch. I looked on another thread and found out that these footswitches typically go bad. I bumped it....and got nothing. So I made my own thread :D

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes. :)

3. the footswitches are pretty bad on the old DOD stuff, my bass flanger(awesome pedal) always sticks... I got a buddy that has rehoused a ton of DOD stuff so you may wanna look into rehousing it into a bigger box with a sturdy switch.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Can't you just put some masking tape on it? ;)

5. or glue............

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    He has masking tape mummying his pedals (*see Post Your Pedalboard page 1,000,000,000).

7. oh i know.... i was referencing a prank call that i had just listened to.....carry on.

8. Every time I've tried to remove the hex screws from the foot switch plate the nuts just turn with the screw and you get nowhere. I think you'll have to remove the entire circuit board by completely dismantling the pedal - knobs and nuts off the pots, undo the jacks etc.

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    dont say that nifty :(

10. jazzercountry

jazzercountry

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    speaking of which, I have a few momentary switches I pulled from my FM4, if you need one.

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I had to do this the last time I had to mess with a DOD too.

12. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i kind of fixed it......just adjusted the nuts on the blavk footswitch thing....but it still needs work. meh

13. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    for the record, it wasn't sticking for me at all before I sent it to you.

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    ooo , i know matt. i've jsut been getting bad luck i guess. i actually got a blue ringer recently and it's got a bad footswitch. my guess is that during shipping boxes get tossed...things get loose and moved. no biggy. :D

15. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i'm glad it's improved for you at least

16. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Alrighty. I got to dismantling the entire pedal. Took off nuts, screws, pretty much everything. I'm clicking on the switch manually by hand. Sometimes it works perfect, other times its kind of halts and needs a 'hard' push. Is this a sign that the switch is coming to its end or should I just Alan some tape on the switch so when I press on it more weight is pushed down on it. I'm all ears right now. Thanks guys.

17. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Have you tried spraying it out with contact cleaner? Spray it really good with it dripping out etc. Let it dry/evaporate and try it again.
    Might help, if it still works as you described it's at the end of it's useful life imo.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Agreed, the first step is to clean it (I like Caig's DeOxit DN5), and if cleaning doesn't help, then replace it.

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    By cleaning it, I'm assuming I should just drench the top side of the switch? These aren't like any other foot switches I've seen before....guess only dod made this type of switch....so just want to make sure. Thanks.

20. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Can you post a pic of the internal part of the switch?