1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anybody else ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, May 27, 2020.

1. Does anyone else get incredibly anxious when shopping for a bass ? (Even online shopping) i just get online and look at basses and get so excited that it creates anxiety lmao. Like yea I have an anxiety disorder but still bahaha

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2020
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

A few years ago I would. If I saw something I was interested in I'd try to think of reasons I did not NEED it.
    Sometimes I'd just keep them in mind & post links to them on here in hopes that someone else would buy it & put me out of my misery.

So far that has not worked, because folks don't seem to have the same taste as me.
    I posted about a sweet Schecter Apocalypse at GC on FB & there were still no takers.

btmpancake and mikewalker like this.
  3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I don't like testing a bass in front of people. I'm noodling and not playing, so I know it doesn't sound great. I am also very conscious about trying out gear around other bass players. They can be a little judgmental o_O

jackn1202, bassballs27, HCF and 5 others like this.
  4. Not me.
    Easy 120 basses have come my way. I'll buy online without a care in the world and often don't even plug them in if buying face to face :)

In the last 30 years I've returned 1 bass.

5. No. I've been around enough, I usually have a pretty good idea of what's needed for a bass to do 'this' or 'that'. I know what works for me and what doesn't. I'm not one of these guys that my world spins around string spacing, I don't stay up late worrying about WHEN that 9v battery is going to play out, etc. Generally if it's a bass I like, if it's not stooooopid heavy or a neck like a Louisville Slugger, I can make it work for me.

Plus I know what REALLY doesn't work for me, so that saves me a lot of angst in what NOT to buy. But then, I've been around a long time.

When I was younger, you bet, it was almost like waiting for a hot date. But both . . . . have been a long time ago, and now I can savor my pleasures in a more relaxed fashion . . . . .

6. I’m pretty much like this, except I still can get excited over trying new basses. Not anxious, however. That doesn’t mean I’m going to buy it. But I still like to try new stuff. Even if I know I’m not going to like it.

7. I would, but honestly, after owning two Alembics, everything else . . . . is just everything else. I have new basses since, and they're fun, but I already owned the benchmark, and my expectations have to be lower.

ctmullins likes this.
  8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    The anxiety comes when I realize I should be practicing!

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Sometimes if I see a bass on CL or Ebay that seems like an amazing deal I can become a little obsessive trying to interpret the photos and/seller’s description. I’ll keep clicking on the photos hoping for more detail...like when you keep going to the fridge even though you know there’s no turkey sandwich waiting for you in there.

10. Just because it wasn't in there last time you checked does not mean it will not be there the next time you check.

KaraQ and lowphatbass like this.
  11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I know. I think it’s nature’s way of getting you to work up the courage to make a go at the leftover rice, half a can of cream corn, cheddar cheese and the last hot dog bun.

comatosedragon likes this.
  12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Does anybody else ?
    I'd say that's quite likely.
    What ever it is you feel or do in response to any given situation - don't assume you're the first.

13. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Nope. At my GFs:
    bass coll 1.jpg

At home:
    bass coll 2.jpg

Barry Vestal, RocknRay and mikewalker like this.
  14. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Not online, but else, yeah.
    It feels like taking an exam in front of the seller.
    I hate it.

15. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I always have a tendency to over think everything when I'm shopping for a bass. My gut usually tells me to go with a certain bass, but I always seem to find another bass that's a better deal and almost always have regretted it.

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i get a little fidgety as an assembly or a setup gets close to finished. i just want to play 'em! :D

GodPlayedBass likes this.
  17. I only get really bad when I know I have enough credit for something moderately expensive that I really want and could easily click the order button but then factor in wanting to pay off what I still owe before making another big purchase. I've been really good fighting off GAS for the last few months but it's getting more difficult to resist as the days go by. :nailbiting:

btmpancake and GodPlayedBass like this.
  18. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    When I try out a bass in a store, I usually know in three minutes if I like it. The two basses I have bought without playing were both great players. Although one did have a slightly unseasoned neck that seemed pretty sensitive to temp changes.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  19. Bikingbasser

Bikingbasser

Oct 2, 2018
    LaSalle
    Not anymore. My current instruments play like butter, so there's no GAS.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  20. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    No. I've worked in four music stores and managed two. I know what I need out of a bass. As someone noted above, I won't even need to plug it in.

What gives me anxiety is going into a music store with the usual pack of moron "customers" demoing guitars they will never buy at ear-shattering volumes.

GalleyCat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021