Does anybody play this way??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by adisu, Apr 10, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    I Found this new technique one day when i was practising my right hand speed and i was wondering if anybody play use this technique??
    I play with two fingers on my right hand and usually when i play i pick the strings upwards in the regular day i understood that i loose lot's of time getting the fingers back below the string to pick the strings once again so i started to play the string (with the back of my fingers- nails) also on my way down to it's basic position.
    The result is getting 4 notes at the same time when i used to play 2 notes.

I'm still not a master in this technique and the hardest thing is trying not to hit other strings while doing it but i'm getting better.

So does anybody play this way??? :bassist:

BTW i'm not playing like that all the time ,i do it only when i need extra speed.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yes. Many many many people do it, including myself. I forgot what it's called, but it's fun stuff.
  3. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    This was discussed in another thread just like this :p

It's kinda strumming, isn't it?
  4. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    O.k. thanks guys.

FireAarro was that discussion long time ago??
    do you remember what was the title or whats the name of this type of playing??? (so i can have a easy search)

I would love to get more ideas about this style from people
    who play it. :cool: :cool:
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I do that with my thumb when I slap, like Vic.
  6. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    you slap upwords??? never heard of that ....i saw vic wooten many times but i never had an idea that that's what he does.
    cool :cool:
    i'll try it!!!!
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chuck Rainey was doing this in the '70s...IIRC, there was an interview where he showed Jamerson the technique; Jamerson replied that it was 'girly'. ;)
  8. Wouldn't it sound weird? Like dum-dang-dum-dang-dum-dang... :confused:

Unless you have close to no fingernails, of course. But if Chuck Rainey does it, who am I to critique? :)
  9. BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    I have an old VCR tape of Chuck demonstrating it. Its sounds even when he does it. He even does a triplet pattern by:
    down index, up index, down middle
    down index, up index, down middle
    down index, up index, down middle.
    And he's just as fast as Wooten if not faster, except it doesn't have the percussive properties a double thumb pluck.
  10. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    :bawl: :confused: :bawl:

It's too hard, this upward thumb pluck.

how do you do it?? where can i find a lesson about it??

11. Geddy Lee plays similarly to this
  12. It would sound like youre playing with fingers AND pick IMO.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I believe he's just using the tip of the index finger.
    I'm "OK" at using this technique with the middle one(!) for those "In-Concert Endings of Tunes" know, while the drummer is thrashing away for about a minute or two.
  14. Yeah, probably. Some people have really short fingernails. I personnally couldn't do it without sounding like poop.

For those, I use a pseudo three-finger technique, where I use my pinky. My ring finger is not usable because it's been broke many years ago and now has limited movement.
  15. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi Adisu,

There was a very recent thread here on TB that mentioned the Victor Wooten down-up thumb technique. The thread mentioned that right now there is a video that can be found on iMesh that displays this technique slowed WAY down. I actually found the video they were talking about. Just type in the name Victor Wooten in the search box - it should find the video (it worked for me). The video doesn't show the guy's face, but you can see his hands perfectly. Using a MusicMan Stingray, he demonstrates the down-up thumb technique and also a couple of variants using thumb and index/middle fingers. It really answered a ton of questions for me regarding the way to execute this Wooten technique. Now all I have to do is develop new callouses on areas I didn't have them before and practice for the next 20 years to be able to do it at 1/16th of Victor's speed. :rolleyes: But a great video to watch, regardless.
  16. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Thanks man i'm gonna' do the search right away. ;)

ME too, i'm not planning to do it just learn a bit about the move (yes maybe in 20 to 30 years of daily practise) :crying: :smug:
  17. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I used to do this, but I kept f*cking up my nails. Since I also play classical guitar this was a major pain.
  18. Actually, I've kinda just started a mix between the "nail" technique and three finger.

it goes something like this,

ring(down) middle(down) pointer(down) pointer(up)

or for really fast playing for maybe grand fanallies(sp) and hitting one note do...

ring(down) middle(down) pointer(down) pointer(up) middle(up)

i've just started this technique a few days ago, so im not sure on how it'll workout. im just messing with different styles of play trying to figure out which one i want.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Found it. It's in the December 2002 Bass Player(Jamerson cover).
    Pg. 42.
    Rainey sez, "...James plucked with mainly one finger, all upstrokes. His heavy touch, high P-bass action, & 'real man' attitude resulted in strong, singing notes. I remember showing him my back & forth index finger plucking technique & he laughed & said, 'that's sissy stuff right there'".